Newbie questions....

Well just got back from my lfs and now have a cpr bak pak filter/skimmer. They also talked me into buying 3 damsels....They said they were needed to speed the cycle process up a bit. You need fish pooh to create the ammonia. Live and learn I guess. I am still in the need of liverock. I was going to wait until some becomes available on here somewhat close but I was surfing around a bit and noticed on ebay you can get lr for 2.19 a lb and 27$ to ship. Anyone have any input on lr bought online? I can get all I need for just under 100. Not too bad....

have fun gettin those damsels out in a couple months lol

and i would wait and get your rock from someone on here, will have more "stuff" in it and will help the cycle better. besides u usually get some mushroom/zoa/paly polyps as hitchikers.

theres a few people selling LR right now in the FS section, put the $30 u were gonna spend on shipping and pick it up. you can see it in person before you buy, and theres no wait.

Last edited:
Waiting to here back from Caiworm. Looking to buy his rock and a light. He doesn't seem to be around this afternoon though....Bummer. Still waiting though :)

Honestly you may want to take out the damsels before putting in your LR or you'll have a hell of a time catching them. You can actually use the LR and some food or even let a piece of shrimp from your supermarket decay to help cycle the tank.

I also agree with getting LR from someone on BRS. I wouldnt trust ebay on livestock purchases personally.

Anyways, congrats on the tank and be sure to post pics! :)

That will be tough. I have 3 kids and 3 damsels all with names now. We'll figure it out.
Maybe we'll just get bigger fish when the time comes :)

lol, i've learned from reading on here, LFS' will use your kids to sucker you into a buy lol. :p

Hahahaha.
The guy seems to know his stuff though. Krystal clear aquatics out in Auburn. Very very helpful people.
Still on a liverock search......
Will keep you all posted on my progress.....
The 3 damsels seem to be doing pretty well.

Well I bought some liverock from a great guy on here (Caiworm) which came with all kinds of goodies. I believe I was told what they were, but cannot remember. I remember hammerheads, and Zoas and mushrooms. Here are some pictures. I just hope they all make it.....
coral4.jpg

coral3.jpg

coral2.jpg

coral1.jpg

x3 on the sump. I had a super skimmer and i hated the thing. Good luck and we love pictures :)

Thank you!!!
I didn't go with the super skimmer I bought a bak pak cpr skimmer/filter for now. The gentleman I bought the rock and coral from also gave me his xtra 29 gallon tank which I think will be a great start for a sump at some point.
Should I be adding any additives to the water for the coral I have in there now?

No........
Why would you have inverts in a tank?

"They said they were needed to speed the cycle process up a bit"

You don't even know if you're going to have a cycle yet.
If that happens your corals wont last very long.
Frankly,I'm quite surprised that Roger sold you Damsels to cycle with....oh well.

I didn't follow your reply all too well. Were you asking me why I would have inverts in the tank? Were you being sarcastic?

Sorry..no,not being sarcastic.
Have you had a cycle yet?
Damsels can live through a cycle........very tough.
Inverts will not.

Wasn't sure if I was sounding ignorant again :)
I have to head to the lfs this weekend for a test kit as I forgot this past weekend when I was there. I know, that is a really important thing to forget. Everything seems to be doing fine.
So, If I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates I should be good to start adding inverts and stuff??

Yes,it's possible that you will not have a cycle at all.
Especially if your live rock came right out of a older tank.
I would try a few of the hardy snails.

Awesome. Thank you. I'll bring some water with me this weekend and if it tests well I'll pick some up. What would be a hardy snail?
Like turbo snails?
Roger will know what to sell me :)

Yes,turbo snails are quite hardy.
Just make sure you acclimate them slowly.
BTW....snails are on sale for"prefered customers"there.;)

Back