Newbie thinks something might be wrong with his RBT Anemone!

Your anemone looks like it is not getting enough nutrition. They get food from the light and from meaty feedings. I suspect that yours is not eating enough and is not under enough light to compensate for the lack of meat. The way the foot is positioned on the rock is typical of a BTA in distress. At this point the clowns are probably doing quite a bit of damage too. Maroons are notorious for being hard on anemones by biting tentacles or taking food away. Those two look like they could definitely love that anemone to death. Watch them to see if they are biting tentacles off, you might need to seperate them to get the anemone to survive if that is the case. once the anemone is 4 or 5 times the size of the fish it can handle a little chomping.

To improve this guy, give him mysis shrimp or mashed up raw grocery store shrimp. Watch the clowns, I bet they will try to take it away in which case you will need to protect the anemone until the food is inside. A plastic strawberry basket works well, and feed the tank a few minutes before you feed the anemone both to fill up the fish and to get the mouth to puff open so you can stick the food right to the stomach tissue and have it inside faster.

Also, anemones need full strength seawater. I would highly recommend getting a refractometer at some point and bringing your strength up to 1.025

Once those things are taken care of, a little more flow will make the tentacles extend more and make the anemone look nicer.

I honestly I thinks it's a combination of things. The changing water parameters and the PC lighting.

There are some in the hobby who will say they managed to keep a BTA with PC lighting, but I stress the word "manage".

Improving the water conditions/stability and feeding will help. But IMO you need to give it more powerful lighting.

:)

I honestly I thinks it's a combination of things. The changing water parameters and the PC lighting.

There are some in the hobby who will say they managed to keep a BTA with PC lighting, but I stress the word "manage".

Improving the water conditions/stability and feeding will help. But IMO you need to give it more powerful lighting.

:)

+1

"Manage"is far from thriving IMO.

Back