NH Fish Clown breeding build

NH Fish

Non-member
I'm going to start a clown breeding room and post as things go along. Total capacity will be six 40 gal breeders (some with dividers) and one 40 gal breeder sump. Follow along if interested. Let me know if I can improve anything. always looking for new ideas.

Last edited:
I started the breeding setup. I got a couple of the 40 breeders drilled and the backs painted. Also got the dividers painted. For those who have never drilled a tank, put a bead of plumbers putty around where the hole will go and put a little water inside to cool the bit. I drilled for 1" bulkheads.

breeding room 014.JPGbreeding room 015.JPGbreeding room 016.JPGbreeding room 020.JPG

I started to put the stand together to see how things fit. I reinforced the cross members. I need to level things off and I will put 3/4" square aluminium uprights in the center between the shelves to help prevent sagging

breeding room 023.JPGbreeding room 024.JPGbreeding room 025.JPGbreeding room 026.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice, what type of clownfish are you breeding? Possible to see a photo of the parents?

Very nice, what type of clownfish are you breeding? Possible to see a photo of the parents?

Hi Dong:
I have 4 pair right now. 2 pair of percs. A Darwin and a blacker ice and a Platinum and Super Platinum
I have some fry from 1 of the perc pairs that are about 10dph. I have been taking pics as time goes on and will start a separate thread on that along with photos
I will also be posting more pics of the breeding room build today.

Started working on the overflow plumbing. A tip when having to align a few t's and elbows is to dry fit everything first and mark the depth of the pipe into the fitting and the orientation of the outlets before you start gluing things together.

breeding room 2 071.JPGbreeding room 2 072.JPG

The overflows That I will be using. I have one on each side so I can divide the tank if I need to.

Copy of breeding room 2 074.JPGbreeding room 2 075.JPG

Looks pretty sweet! When I first read the description I pictured tanks everywhere you turned and a mess of equipment. That is really cool how you plumbed them all together on that rack.

I plumbed the return lines. Each of the 6 tanks will have a manifold as seen in the pic. Pipes run in the wall to keep things tidy. I ordered some loc-line with shut off valves and nozzles to finish off the returns.

breeder room 3 009.JPGbreeder room 3 010.JPG

I got my lights installed. I used 6- 36" double T5 lights. (1 for each tank). I wired them with separate plugs so I can control each tank individually and independent of each other through my apex.

breeding room3 003.JPG

This is what I learned in my self taught basic electrical class.

breeding room3 005.JPG

HA HA I need to snake the wires through the wall before I can put the plugs on.

Back