No more southdown? Where to go now?

Muscles

Non-member
What is the cheapest source of sand and what is everyone using now that we cannot find southdown anymore? I need about 4-5 bags. Looking to fill about 3/4 of a rubbermaid stock tank real deep.

Well,I used Pavestone Tropical playsand from HD.
It fizzed like crazy with the vinegar test.Some say that it's really pulverized limestone.It's very white and the grain size is a little big.Just need to rinse the crap out of it to avoid milky water.
Worked for me......

Well,I used Pavestone Tropical playsand from HD.
It fizzed like crazy with the vinegar test.Some say that it's really pulverized limestone.It's very white and the grain size is a little big.Just need to rinse the crap out of it to avoid milky water.
Worked for me......

Anyone us this over the long haul?
I plan to make a remote DSB from a 100g stock tank.
Very nervous about what to use.
Carib aragonite seems way too expensive for the amount of sand I need.

If you don't need it to look pretty, I use HD Playsand in all of my RDSB's.. Rinse well, works great...

You can buy live sand out of the Lousianna that is brought in from the Keys for 1.00 a LB...(shipping is extra but they can ship live sand UPS ground or even us mail for a small fee ....without any damage to the micro life in the sand) little more with the shipping but....Hey it's live!!! Probably no more than Carbi sea dead sand!!!

Off subject...Moe....Nice shot with the Kids!!! I can see that stressed look on your face!!! :p Ahhhhhhh I know what that is like!!! I have two small ones at home!!!;)

Thank you for the suggestions. I thought you couldn't use the HD playsand anymore. But if it's just for a remote DSB then I should be fine. I will look into the live sand though.

Back