Southdown no more?

SHOmuchFUN

Skin-E-Reef
A long time ago I posted on here looking for some Southdown. Some fellow BRS members suggested an Agway on the NH/VT border.

Now Southdown is under a new name, but wasn't sure where I could find it or what the name was. Does anybody have any insight?

Just don't do it! That stuff has silica in it. It is no longer safe along with Dow Calcium Chloride. Imagine, we use products for purposes they are not intended and bad things happen. Go figure.

I use Kolorscape sand w/out any problems. It has been in my tank for 2 years. I also used until recently Randy's two part without any issues. :.

Old Castle, the company who made SouthDown no longer makes that product. They now make a playsand called Kolorscape which has "NOT FOR AQUARIUM USE" printed right on the front. That doesn't mean it's not safe just that the company doesn't want to be responsible for any problems you might have using their product off label. This new product is not pure aragonite like the old SouthDown and I heard it has silica in it. But there is nothing wrong with silica based sand. It doesn't hurt you tank; it just doesn't have the helpful properties of aragonite.

More info:
SILICA IN REEF AQUARIUMS

The original calcium based southdown is gone. You can get away with almost any sand including silica based sands, but if you want to do it right, find someone breaking down a tank and buy their aragonite sand.

M

Back