No more yellow tangs?

Wow... it reads like it is not just the yellow tang but ALL Hawaiian exports. That includes the flame angels, flame hawkfish, tons of gobies and blennys. Moorish idols etc.

As if those fish were not more expensive in general because of the catch limits... now this!

There goes my hopes of adding a flame angle :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I read about it a while ago that they were going to stop the collection of yellow tangs

It is just under review.
The current commercial permits allow unlimited collection. May be such kind of permit really needs to be reviewed.
It is an on going battle. Just no need to rush to LFS to snatch up yellow tangs, there is no shortage of it.

The article certainly seems like they are leaning towards permanently halting the netting and selling of aquarium fish. Whether it becomes written in the books or not I guess we will have to wait and see. But another thing to think about is how long will it take them to come up with an efficient system to still allow some fish to be netted and sold while in the mean time none are being sold

But yes I do agree there should be regulations on that. I love snorkeling on coral reefs and hope to go to hawaii some time in the next year for vacation!

Last edited:
Theres a fish store up in amherst nh that sells captive bred yellow tangs and mandarins im not sure of other stuff but she buys from someone somwhere that is already doing it

Yes there is captive-bred Yellow Tangs, Zebrasoma flavescens. They are the first captive-bred tangs in the world, spawned, hatched and reared at the Oceanic Institute at Hawaii Pacific University.
They are from $100 to $200 each.
There are also "tank raised" yellow tang available.

Are you sure they are not Redsea Sailfins painted in yellow?

Talk about greed.
Yellow tang is available on Liveaquaria right now with the same price as before.
As far as I know, there are over two thousand five hundred yellow tangs that are available just from one supplier.
There is no shortage of yellow tangs and there are many collectors still have valid permits CURRENTLY that can collect legally. If their yearly permit will be renewed (most likely) was the question waiting to be answered. Hawaii has one of the best if not the best sustainable collection program in the world and yellow tang population was reported increased, some studies showed the population of yellow tang actually push out other species of native fish,

Just like the proposed clownfish ban years ago, it is hot air and BS all over again.

Back