noob help with diatom?? id

madisonrose

Non-member
just trying to figure out exactly what this is. i thought i had a diatom issue due to a older 250w bulb that was probably close to 2years old so i replaced the bulb and did a major glass cleaning, but i am still having a good amount of growth especially in high flow areas. also it seems to grow on the glass and over flow the best, it doesnt really grow on the rocks or other stuff. is this diatoms, or hair algea? my lighting schedule is about 8 hours of mh and 10 hours of actinics. should i cut out the lights for a few days to see what happens are there any critters that may eat the stuff well enough to control it???????????
thanks for your help

Attachments

• DSC03935 [1280x768].jpg
    DSC03935 [1280x768].jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC03936 [1600x1200].jpg
    DSC03936 [1600x1200].jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 128
Looks like hair algae with a lot of debris stuck in it.
I'd just pull the power head an soak it in vinegar.
Then add a few turbos.

+1 on HA... I used to have it on my PH's as well... PITA...

well i am just a little confused, and i am sure this has been talked about before but some people say to put turbos(i think they are to destructive) in to eat it, others sea hares(orsomething of that sort) some say to get your nutrient problem under control. what is feeding this type of algea??
i use rodi water with 0 tds output i have untraceable amounts of phosphates/ nitrates according to my test strips in prewater and tank water
is this a photosynthetic type of algea?? can i starve it out somehow or do i have to control it with critters??
any thoughts

well i am just a little confused, and i am sure this has been talked about before but some people say to put turbos(i think they are to destructive) in to eat it, others sea hares(orsomething of that sort) some say to get your nutrient problem under control. what is feeding this type of algea??
i use rodi water with 0 tds output i have untraceable amounts of phosphates/ nitrates according to my test strips in prewater and tank water
is this a photosynthetic type of algea?? can i starve it out somehow or do i have to control it with critters??
any thoughts

Well,let's face it,there's plenty of destructive critters in this hobby.
Some wandering anemone's can really destroy a tank.I have zebra trocus snail that basically only come out at night.But like any other critter,it's going to live in the tank and if you don't have something epoxied down,it's going to get bulldozed.
HA is a pretty nasty algae to get rid of if it takes hold.I even has a patch growing on my overflow for a while.The best thing to do is keep nitrates down as well as phosphates.Lights out will do very little to HA.
I have a bunch in my QT tank that's been lights out for over 3 weeks and came right back when I went back to a normal lighting period.

Back