Noopsych Light experience

Chlorinated

Non-member
Hi,

Been doing a lot of research for my new build, and lights are obviously top of the list.

Over on R2R Noopsych has quite a following. They seem to offer great PAR and spectrum at a very affordable price point.

I wanted to know if anyone has used them, or just general thoughts on quality.

Thanks!

I used to think about carrying these lights but after getting an sample, I changed my mind.
hopefully you never need their customer service.
When you are looking at LED reviews, long term reliability seems never been mentioned. The par rating is no longer that important as most modern led can zap out more than enough par (except led made by Current etc). Spectrum is not an issue as well since the led layout for reef tanks are well studied.
If just looking at initial par and spectrum, I really mean “initial”, you can find many led manufactures (named brand or not) are very much “on par”.

But when long term reliability is considered, both in fixture design and led chips used, the differences are very big.

If customer service is factored in, that is day and night difference.

Last edited:
I used to think about carrying these lights but after getting an sample, I changed my mind.
hopefully you never need their customer service.
When you are looking at LED reviews, long term reliability seems never been mentioned. The par rating is no longer that important as most modern led can zap out more than enough par (except led made by Current etc). Spectrum is not an issue as well since the led layout for reef tanks are well studied.
If just looking at initial par and spectrum, I really mean “initial”, you can find many led manufactures (named brand or not) are very much “on par”.

But when long term reliability is considered, both in fixture design and led chips used, the differences are very big.

If customer service is factored in, that is day and night difference.
Thanks for the input Dong! I was debating a couple Hydra 32's, but Noopsych keeps popping up with a nice price. I had to ask.

What are your thiughts on the Hydra 32's? I run a Prime 16HD on my 20 and like it except for the loud fan.

I’m running nicrew hyperreef 100 watt leds on my tank, they do great and the customer service is fantastic. The one I’m currently using I bought used and bought the hyper reef controller for it on my 10 gallon. I’ve now bought two more so I can keep the 10 gallon going until the 40 breeder is on its own two feet. I’ve rented the club par meter and I turned them down and only ran them at 50% I have since bumped it upto 60% to tinker. I had a hard time connecting the controller with the light for whatever reason. They are sold through Amazon so you get sent another right away if something doesn’t work after my second one I reached out to them and I had a bad chord in the end. I started my customer service request on Amazon then they contacted me and sent me an email to further discuss the problem. I am satisfied with their products and customer service and I would recommend them for a good budget light. And the corals really pop under the blues!

Actually Nicrew makes good quality led, they are better built than Noopsych. AI has far better software but comes with higher price.
Nicrew’s custom service is responsive as well. Of you are looking for budget led, it is a good choice.
As for Hydra32, it is quite but I never ran mine in high %.

Actually Nicrew makes good quality led, they are better built than Noopsych. AI has far better software but comes with higher price.
Nicrew’s custom service is responsive as well. Of you are looking for budget led, it is a good choice.
As for Hydra32, it is quite but I never ran mine in high %.
Good to know.

I run my prime close to max so fans work hard. Hope to run the hydras lower.

Back