(not so) Nano Super Skim-fugium 3000

smithcreek

Futurely (*&^#%(@*%
Just fired up the Nano Super Skim-fugium 3000 and I'm trying to decide if I now own and nano-tank with a skimmer on the back or a skimmer with a nano on the front.

Here's a pic from the front, it's only been on a few minutes and it's pulling some nasty gack out, at least compared to the bak-pak II I had hangining on the front of the tank for the last month or two.

skimmer%201.jpg

Here's a picture from the side. The first compartment that's located on the side of the tank is the skimmer. Unfortunately you can't see through the smoke color acrylic too well. There is a bubble diffuser plate supporting an acrylic tube. The water goes out the side through the gate valve and into the refugium where there are a couple baffles to get rid of bubbles, a 5" x 4" x 16" refugium, a baffle that has about 30-40 1/4" holes on the bottom half to let water pass but not cheato (hopefully) and one last baffle to make double sure all the micro bubbles are gone.

skimmer%202.jpg

This is a pic from the top. As you can see the first chamber on my AP 24 is pretty tight. I'm already using the bottom 3 grates on the false wall as a feed for my closed loop, so that's the 3/4" pipe to the left of the skimmer.

skimmer%203.jpg

To run the skimmer I am using a maxi-jet 1200 with the mesh mod. I had to machine a new wheel for the mj since the one that comes with it was usless for the mesh mod. Thanks to Joe Scavo for the enkamat and justdavidp and gustavo for posting the mesh wheel video.

mesh%20wheel.jpg

what brand cube is that? my brothers JBJ 24 just split a corner on it's own after 2 years of running....be careful my friend

what brand cube is that? my brothers JBJ 24 just split a corner on it's own after 2 years of running....be careful my friend
It's an Aquapod, but I took that into account when I built a stand for it. I think there's probably 4 gallons of water in there so I knew the weight was going to be too much to hang. You can see one of the square acrylic legs in the pic. There's no weight on the tank, there's only a couple pieces of acrylic that hook over the edge of the tank to keep it from moving.

Franken-Nano, I like that.:D

Nice work on the needle wheel. Did you spin that out by hand on a turn table or program it conversationally?

haven't heard much bad about Aquapod, but i think it's very similar to the JBJ tank....one piece glass front and sides...right? he had nothing hanging on his tank when it blew.....and it wasn't a slow weeper either....it gushed like niagra. nice set-up you have going and i'd hate to see something go wrong.......he had moved everything to a 30 long he had and likes it better than the 24 cube....

all just food for though. keep em crossed. good luck

haven't heard much bad about Aquapod, but i think it's very similar to the JBJ tank....one piece glass front and sides...right? he had nothing hanging on his tank when it blew.....
The first JBJs had a huge problem with cracking for no reason. Was that your brother that posted a week or so ago? I don't need to worry about this tank exploding to give me an excuse to upgrade, it's already in the plans, but not until I get a lot more work done on our house.

We have two front rooms in out house, I guess they called one the living room and the other the parlor when it was built in 1910. I did spring the idea on my wife of turning one of the rooms into a fish room with a big tank, 140-180 in the middle of the room, accesible from all sides and she thought it sounded good.:cool:

good call on the potential upgrade. sounds like it could be really cool. it was a week or so ago that it happened to him so he could have posted.....not sure if it was here or on a nano forum site. keep up the good work , all your upgrades and additions to your tank are great!!

update

Here's a pic of 3 days skimmate. Working well. The mesh modded mj1200 is great. I have a bak-pak and remoraC and neither of these come close. Some day I'll try the mod it on both of those and see if it improves their skimming.

skimmer%204-19-07.jpg

that thing looks like its cranking.

IMO, the best thing besides the mesh-mod on the bakpak would to be to mod the collection cup to have a larger neck.

-Joe

Back