Not this again...Southdown/Yardright/Oldcastle sand

testhead1313

Here's lookin' at you
Alright, so it's time to get serious about setting up the new tank, so the hunt is on for some sand. I have checked the local HD and Lowes in Dartmouth and Taunton, and to no surprise, they only carry Quikrete. Looking at a previous post, I called Bay State Garden and Pet Supply in Taunton and they said they had white Yardright play sand, 50# for 5.99. So I drove up and took a look at it, but it didn't look right to me, so I passed; it didn't have the word "Tropical" and it had the warning about inhaling crystalline silica, not a good sign. As a last resort, I went to a local Wal-Mart and they had white, "screened and sterilized" play sand called "Garden Basics". Hmmm, no silica warning, but no "tropical" and what's this? It's made by Oldcastle?? For $2.77 including tax for 50#, I figured it was worth a shot. I brought it home and opened it up. It does not look like the smooth, rounded grains that Southdown is supposed to look like, but it does bubble quite a bit when I add vinegar.... Talk about a paradox. So it does contain aragonite, but possibly silica (sharper grains) or maybe not because it doesn't have the warning, but it also doesn't say "silica-free". And sterilized, what gives??? This is a fresh tank with nothing in it yet. What would you do- pick up a few bags and deal with the consequences, or drive 1.5 hours to Fishy Business and pay more for the southdown, assuming they still have it, but be able to sleep at night. Any thoughts would be great, and as always, thanks for the help!
Chris

Personally, I like to sleep at night. And remember SD is cheaper than the other alternative which cost 40$/50lb. Take the drive----everyone else is. (peer pressure :))

I am gaining confidence as I have been watching the sand bubble away for the past 1/2 hour... I'd say at least 1/4 to 1/2 of it has disappeared already. I agree though, I probably will make the drive, but it will have to wait. I am going out of town for a few days and then I have final exams...argh! I guess I'll just call Fishy in a few weeks with my fingers crossed.
Chris

denvig - actually I do have access, so I will take some to school tommorow and check it out. Would you consider this the definitive test?? Thanks again for the advice and I will let you know what I see.

If it looks like the InlandReef photos I would think you OK.
Does it say anything about the Caribbean anywhere on the package?

I doesn't say anything about the Caribbean, which worries me. Not all of the sand disappeared last night, but I am going to take a look under the microscope today, so I will keep you updated.
Chris

FWIW, i never found SD for last two times i used it. I just went to HD and used their white play sand. (not Quikrete and i don't think all HD has it...i got it from the one in Reading HD).
In both tanks i got almost zero/negligible algae with this sand. I do have refugium and i have cheato over there and algae blenny in my tank. I know it might not have agronite (spelling..??) but so far it worked for me and that's what i am using right now. Not recommeding that use this sand instead of SD but if you can't find SD and have no other choice....

Also i don't think silica is bad it's silicate but not sure....What do you think the glass is made from????

id spend the money on lfs sand before I experiemented on adding an unknown sand.because if it turns out to be a problem, theres no way im breaking my tank down to dig it all out.

The saga continues... After looking at it under a microscope, I am pretty sure that this is not the traditional southdown. The gains have sharper edges and they appear to be a milky transparent, not off-white and opaque like SD. However, I have been decanting off the vinegar from the previous posts and adding fresh, and the sand continues to bubble. There's maybe 1/10 of the original left and I just added new vinegar this morning. I am assuming that the solution becomes saturated with Ca2+ ions, thus not allowing any more dissolution of the substrate. I will continue to add and decant the vinegar and hopefully, I can find out if there are any contaminants. If there is anything left, I will place this under the scope and let you know. Thanks again for the advice.
Chris

Back