Novice Reefkeepers talk for Nov. meeting - topics poll

What would you like to learn about in the Novice Reefkeepers talk?

• Protein Skimming

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Lighting - PC's, VHO, T-5's, MH, HQI, ballasts, reflectors

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Calcium and alkalinity maintenance

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Calcium reactors - how they work, how to build

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Preparation of saltwater

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • RO/DI - how it works, why important

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Automatic top off methods

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Control of unwanted algae

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Magnesium and it's importance

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Water motion - wave makers, closed loops, wave boxes, dump buckets

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Phosphate and phosphate removers

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Sugar and alcohol dosing

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
Okay, I didn't get too much response....well, any response :p in the first thread on this, so I figured I'd create the list of topics to choose from. At the November meeting we will have a short presentation (likely by me) with a question and answer session for novice reefkeepers, or for anyone interested in the topic. Please let me know what topics you'd like to hear about. Depending upon the topics choosen, and the number of questions, I may be able to cover more than one topic.

This poll is multiple choice, so you can vote for more than one option.

Well,
As a newbie.....um....novice,i'm glad to see that you changed the title.Greg.lol
Further more,I would like to add that many of us are afraid to make suggestions and be a no show at the meeting(well me anyways).Personally,I would like some talk on what to expect the first year a system is set up.Warning signs that something might be amiss.Hitchhikers that might be a problem when they first show up.Critters to avoid during that first year.

>afraid to make suggestions and be a no show <

Good point hadn't thought of that. I guess a poll makes it a lot easier. Good suggestions for topics, thanks.

I double voted for protein skimming and dosing sugar/alchohol as it's benefits correlate with each other. I think alot of people could benefit from a meeting that covered this subject especially on the proper use and or misuse and underskimming versus overskimming.

I'd be interested in different ATO setups, but also am interested in learning more about ORP (though it's not listed on there). If not this meeting, perhaps another time.

I think sugar and alcohol dosing would be an excellent topic to find a guest speaker for. There must be someone out there that has spent years figuring out the best way to do it.

>they went over orp last meeting <

Also, I'd not really consider ORP a beginners topic. There are about 100 things to learn about before worrying about measureing or attempting to control ORP.

Back