NSW and Randy's 2 part additive.

naturebatslast

Senior Toad Licker
So, I'm 95% sure I've made the switch to NSW, and I plan to do all future waater changes using supplemented NSW (a little extra salt and hardness). I would also like to use Randy's 2 part recipe, but I think I may have to tone it down since I'll be using NSW. Could this be done? Thanks, NBL

What do you mean by tone it down? You just test your ca and alc levels and add what you need. I don't think using NSW would change anything.

Thanks Flighty, my concern was since the 2 part additive tries to get closer to the composition of NSW, and since my tank will eventually made up of NSW....
I guess I'm a little nervous, even after reading 5 or 6 articles on the subject.

I think the NSW around here is lower in ca and alc anyway so you will want to bump them up before use anyway. I could be wrong on that one though as I havn't really looked into using it.

The additive system should work as well with NSW as with artificial seawater. It doesn't assume that the starting water has any particular parameters. :)

Thanks Randy! I couldn't phrase the question well enough, if at all. That's the question and answer I was looking for, from the source no less. Thanks Again, Matt/NBL

typically the water i collect at horseneck is..
8.1 ph
3 meq alk
410 calc
no trites
no ammonia
no trates
no po4 with the kits i use..

Thanks much. These were the parameter for water I collected up here. Unfortunately no phosphate test.
Water temp collected 46 degF
orginal SG 1.026
corrected SG @ 78 degF, somewhere between 1.0215 and 1.0220
ph 8.2
dHK 8 (what's the conversion,..0.4 meq/L for each 1dHK, I think)
Ca 400 meq/liter
ammonium, nitrate and nitrite none detected

Back