October Storm Disaster and Rebuild

Richard Kagen

Non-member
We were in Denver having driving out to visit our daughter when the storm and associated multi-day power failure hit in October. I had a neighbor go is who saw "dead fish everywhere." My cousin came by and tried to pull out what he could, but missed all of the big ones mainly a large Foxface, very fat Sailfin Tang and the nicest Yellow Belly Hippo I have ever seen (from Frank). 5 days later I got back and pulled out +/- 1/2 lb of rotting fish. Lost some coral, but was able to save a bunch plus all of the Anemones (+/- 15 of them from a single one I started with) with 25% daily water changes for 5 days. 11 of 13 fish were lost, plus some inverts. Only fish that survived were the runt (1/3 the size of the biggest pair) of the 6 clowns and a Yellow Watchman Goby. I had 6 clowns, including one pair that where laying and hatching eggs, that I raised from 3/4" fry.

I have been patient letting the 120 gallon re-stabilize and with the exception of an Aiptasia problem things are looking pretty good.

I am thinking about restocking starting with and Aiptasia eating file fish, a harem of 12-15 clowns and a big Wrasse to work on the worms. Anyone looking to sell a proven Filefish? Lunare, Melanurus or other large wrasse that had gotten too big? Anyone breeding clowns or know anyone who is?

Back