octopus skimmer problem

ffsteve

The tool man
i have had it for some time now always works great. i got my new tank all set up cycled finally switched fish over. i took this skimmer out of the other sump and cleaned the cup and the top of the body, rinsed it out and put it in my new sump and it's going crazy, i opened the valve all the way and it's still over flowing. water hight is the same. everything is the same as the old tank just don't get it??? what should i do??

Every so often mine does the same thing. I leave the drain plug out until it's done doing it's thing , sometimes a few hours upto a few days.

Interesting.

I'm having trouble getting my damned Octopus skimmer dialed in.

The thing won't produce enough foam, I close the gate valve a little more, see the foam start to bubble over the top of the riser, and walk away thinking I've got it set.
An hour later I come back to the damned skimmer overflowing the 5 gallon bucket I put on the side to collect skimmate.

Then the return pump isn't getting fed because at least 5 gallons was removed and is now on the basement floor.

Maybe I'll just pull the skimmer's drain line until it breaks in. Hopefully that happens soon.

you just got to let it brake back in. if you cleaned it with vinager, its like putting a brand new skimmer back into the tank.

it's producing plenty of foam the problem is it's producing to much it's always over flowing even with the gate all the way open. i'll never clean the body again!!! damn thing.

find something that you can wrap the body with so algea dont grow in it that would give you more time before you have to clean it.

These things are VERY sensitive to water level changes. If you are not running consistent levels, you will have problems. After I switched to the Tunze Osmoloator it still took me months to get it dialed in.

it's producing plenty of foam the problem is it's producing to much it's always over flowing even with the gate all the way open. i'll never clean the body again!!! damn thing.

Totally agreed.
Sick of it overflowing and dumping water on my basement floor.

it has to do with drawing too much air in the venturi in the BB pump. if you put a control on it (like pictured in that thread-a JQ valve) you can dial it down a bit and stop it from overflowing.

find something that you can wrap the body with so algea dont grow in it that would give you more time before you have to clean it.

that would be amazing but 150 is crazy. is there a step by step or instructions on how to build your own float activiated cut off switch?

Haha, you posted before I finised editing my post.

I built one using an autotopoff.com switch/relay (linked above). The top off switch will come set up to turn ON when the water level is low, and OFF when the level hits the float. To convert it you just remove a snap ring and flip the float upsidown. From there, just mount the float switch in any top off container (a 2 gal bucket with a lid would work just fine). Total project, $40-50.

I actually built an acrylic waste collector for the project, but the idea is the same;
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?76359-Auto-shut-off-waste-collector&highlight=

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if you just flipped it upside down. I have an old JBJ AUTO top off unit that I bet I could rig to work similarly. Thanks!

Since doing the mods in the thread(in may) I listed Ive only overflowed once and that was because I screwed up and set my skimmer too high after a cleaning and then went to dinner. (dumbdumb I am). However I do like redunant failsafes.

i have the diablo 160X with the sicce pump and it gives me no problems and skims like crazy. collection cup is full of black stuff every night

that would be amazing but 150 is crazy. is there a step by step or instructions on how to build your own float activiated cut off switch?

Might be crazy but if it keeps a floor from having water on it it is worth it. A diy set up also works but again some like the pre built that uses a pressure switch so it won't get stuck. Just like an ato but backwards.

Haha, you posted before I finised editing my post.

I built one using an autotopoff.com switch/relay (linked above). The top off switch will come set up to turn ON when the water level is low, and OFF when the level hits the float. To convert it you just remove a snap ring and flip the float upsidown. From there, just mount the float switch in any top off container (a 2 gal bucket with a lid would work just fine). Total project, $40-50.

I actually built an acrylic waste collector for the project, but the idea is the same;
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?76359-Auto-shut-off-waste-collector&highlight=

Oops, correction;
Flipping the float will convert some if not all float switches from low to high trip, but that's not needed for this application. You would want the float switch to work just like it comes as set up for ATO, low water = ON, high water = OFF.

Back