Oh No I have another idea.

sciknen

$20.00 PEOPLE, COME ON.
I was thinking lol

I have a 55g sitting around and I kinda need a frag tank now that my tank I have now is over run with frags

Now what if i were to take it apart. Like cut all the silicone seals, take the black sides off. The hole deal

Can i cut the glass from its height now to about 12in deep? Then silicone it and put the black trim back on?

Could it work?

Why cut down the 55? Why not just fill it half full? I am assuming you want less height so you can get better light penetration to grow out the frags?

Why cut down the 55? Why not just fill it half full? I am assuming you want less height so you can get better light penetration to grow out the frags?

True...

Also - I just cut apart a 55 (w/ old questionable silicone) for the glass panels to use in my next sump. Only the bottom panel is tempered on this one. The top and bottom black plastic frames came off by pulling them - real hard. They broke in the process, but again, I just wanted the glass.
Cutting went well. A drop of olive oil on the blade and a straight edge that doesn't slip is a must (can tape something to underside of straight edge). I found that I got nicer - straighter breaks by placing a 1/4" dowel under the cut and hitting both sides at once, hard, with gloved hands.
I tried cutting bottom. Scored and tried to snap, but it wouldn't break.

Good Luck!

I just drilled my 55 and the whole thing was tempered. The side panell exploded as tempered glass does. Scared me a bit but thats all. I removed the broken panel and replaced it with a non tempered 1/4 plate glass that I was able to drill no problem.

The sticker on it said "tempered Bottom do not drill" Well I guess they meant to say Tempered bottom and sides.........

no you cant do it with a 55 its tempered
Not all are tempered. I had one that was not tempered, and I drilled it for a sump. FWIW.

You can check whether your tank is tempered, and if it's not, steve, then I'd go for it. I'd have a glass shop cut the glass though.

Actually, I think I'd swap one side with the bottom, and turn the tank into an 18" deep, 48" long, 12" tall tank. That would be a killer frag tank. You could even skip cutting the remaining side, and just leave it long. It would stick up 6 inches over the back of the tank, but who cares? It's a frag tank after all.

You could even skip cutting the remaining side, and just leave it long. It would stick up 6 inches over the back of the tank, but who cares? It's a frag tank after all.

You really can't do this as you will need to get the top bracing back on, or uro brace it. You need something to keep the glass from poping apart at the seams. Silicone alone would not hold. Thats why they put the black trim stuff there in the first place.

I'm not convinced the black trim is that important. Particularly in this case where the water height will be about half of what the tank was designed for. So the pressures will be much less (square of height, right?)

If you're worried about it, just slap on some eurobracing, or just eurobrace the corners. But unless the glass is slimmer than 1/4", I probably wouldn't worry about it. I had a 55g sump without the plastic trim, and it was fine. No bowing of the glass.

+1

Why not just make a stand out of eggcreat that comes half way up the tank? Then your frags will be closer to the light and the light has less water to pass through.

i honestly like the looks of shorter tanks. I really don't want an eggcrate tower. It will be right next to my display tank soo. and nate those were the dimensions i was planning on using anyways.

I wouldn't need any kind of euro brace or black trim at all if it isn't necessary. I may just put the black trim back on for aesthetic reasons.. If the tank is only 12" high there will be no bowing. It doesn't bow at 18 why 12?

But i will have to find out if its tempered

Last edited:
i honestly like the looks of shorter tanks. I really don't want an eggcrate tower. It will be right next to my display tank soo. and nate those were the dimensions i was planning on using anyways.

I wouldn't need any kind of euro brace or black trim at all if it isn't necessary. I may just put the black trim back on for aesthetic reasons.. If the tank is only 12" high there will be no bowing. It doesn't bow at 18 why 12?

But i will have to find out if its tempered

The trim won't fit anyways if you change the dimensions from 48x12x18 to 48x18x12, as I was suggesting.

Sounds like a good way to turn a sort of annoying shaped tank (55) into a really useful one. Old 55s are easy to come by. If this works, it could be a great way to make sumps and frag tanks with lots of space out of that plentiful supply.

The reason it does not bow at 18'' is that it has the brace on the top. I think it's to risky to due it with out either the plastic brace or euro brace it.

If you are going to shorten it then just use the extra glass as the euro brace.

You don't want to risk a flood due to a failed glass tank. IMO at least.

My thoughts exactly... :D
Mine was going to the dump, or I was going to salvage some glass out of it.
You can always add a glass brace for peace of mind if you're worried about the new dimension being strong enough. I've done a 4" wide center brace from 1/4" glass...

Back