Ok to run just DI from your RO/DI?

That would be great Linda, no rush though. It's an Aquasafe system, from Canada. I posted a picture of it a while back when I was trying to get it to work. Seems like a good system, the DI works great, any 'port in the storm' when you need water FAST and NOW.:D

Jackie:

Is your water supplied by a well? If so the 39 lb reading would be a normal pressure for a well pump/water storage tank set up. While some wellpump setups can be adjusted to a little higher pressure (~ 50 lbs) the best solution is for you to purchase a booster pump. I had a similar situation at my house with my well pump providing 45 lbs of pressure to the house...I purchased a booster pump and my system came right up to the specified GPM output of 60 gals/day. Most RODI systems require 70 + lbs of water pressure to force the water through the membrane, the tempurature of the water also plays a role in how quickly water is processed through the RODI system.

seasno said:
Jackie:

Is your water supplied by a well? If so the 39 lb reading would be a normal pressure for a well pump/water storage tank set up. While some wellpump setups can be adjusted to a little higher pressure (~ 50 lbs) the best solution is for you to purchase a booster pump. I had a similar situation at my house with my well pump providing 45 lbs of pressure to the house...I purchased a booster pump and my system came right up to the specified GPM output of 60 gals/day. Most RODI systems require 70 + lbs of water pressure to force the water through the membrane, the tempurature of the water also plays a role in how quickly water is processed through the RODI system.

You did ask me that, sorry. Yup, we have a well. Funny though, I ran the unit from the kitchen sink and moved it to the bathroom sink (not a good thing if you forget to take it offline and your brushing your teeth and dressed for work:eek: ) and the pressure seemed higher but fluctuated so much between 50 and 40 that it wasn't worth it. It took 6 hours to make 5 gallons of water! So yes, a booster pump would make my life a littler easier:)

Last edited:
The well pump systems have a "range" that they opperate in....for example...when the pressure in the system drops to say 40 psi the pump kicks on and builds the pressure up to say 50 psi then shuts back off again. That could explain the differences you were experiencing.

That's interesting, I didn't know why it did that.....so why would the pressure drop at all; and aren't there systems that stay at a continuous psi? Or would that overwork the pump?

Are you at home today? Or at work...

Got a washing machine nearby? Try it there (although I think you'll need another adapter.)

When we wet up ours, we weren't quite sure on where we wanted to locate it. So, as a temp install, we got a splitter for our cold water valve on the washing machine. Had to get a special garden hose adapter thingy, but....

Anyway...the water pressure coming out of that washing machine valve is A LOT more than comes out of the kitchen faucet. Plumber even made mention of it. Said he could "fix-it." Translation....$$$$$....

You've got a double whammy going on there.....cold water and low pressure. Makes for slooooooooowww RO/DI production, but 6 hours to make 5 gallons, that is really slow. I know Darren was whining about Ro/DI output once he got off Manchester water and got a well. (j/k about the whining :p but he did mention it) I can fill up a large brute container (about 35 gallons?) in about 12hrs. Far cry from the 100gpd output I am supposed to get, but better than what you've got.

FWIW...our well cycles at 30-50 psi.....on at thirty/ off at 50...so...if you've got 39 psi, you should be getting better production than what you've got. JMO, though.

Unfortunately, I"m at work.....

I did turn the hot tap on really low to help cut the cold, but I don't pay for the hot water (elec) and I feel guilty letting it run for so long.....everywhere I turn there's a barrier of some kind.

I thought about the washing machine, we actually have 2 hooked up. I would imagine that since the water doesn't have to travel as far it would work at a higher pressure. Hmmm, will have to give it more thought...

That's interesting, I didn't know why it did that.....so why would the pressure drop at all; and aren't there systems that stay at a continuous psi? Or would that overwork the pump?

Jackie...they do design the systems that way so they don't overwork the pumps.

I would imagine that since the water doesn't have to travel as far it would work at a higher pressure. Hmmm, will have to give it more thought...

Water pressure isn't so much a function of distance as it is of elevation...just like with our aquarium pumps...the higher you try to push the water the less output/pressure. The size of the water line can also have an inpact on the volume/pressure....typically washer hookups have 1/2 " supply lines, while sinks are 3/8".

HTH
Craig

seasno said:
Water pressure isn't so much a function of distance as it is of elevation...
HTH
Craig

Duh...yep...washer is in the basement... :rolleyes:

Jackie..I'll pm ya my phone number. We can figure out a time to get together. I can bring the washer adapter and see if that helps you at all. LMK

Thanks Craig, that helped a lot. Didn't realize there was so much to it.....

Linda send you PM.

If a booster pump is my only option, I'll probably have a post in a couple weeks on how to connect the @##*%*& thing.:rolleyes: :D

Cool article, I'll have to print it out....

Quote from Randy's article: "If there is excessive carbon dioxide in the source water (such as well water), you might consider degassing the water first to remove some of the carbon dioxide, and thereby reduce the rate of depletion of the DI resins. Note, however, that this option is not inexpensive, and typically involves repressurizing the water with a pump. "

carbon dioxide in well water??? how on earth can you tell? and how do you do that? Where's Greg, help:confused:

Last edited:
Back