Old Freshwater New to Salt.

MeanGreenStompa

Non-member
Hello all, my name is Tristan and I am a British immigrant who has moved to the North Shore and also, after 35 years, finally moved from freshwater cichlids and made the move to saltwater (and wish I'd done it years ago).
I have a 180 gallon 'reef' tank (with the few corals I've been able to keep alive, mainly softies, a few lps and gorgonians) with a lot of fish, plus a connected display 60gallon cube refugium and another 50 or so gallons in the recently added sump (after I finally gave up on trying for the last 2 years to run the tank with the 3 FX6s I had when it was freshwater).
I would really, really love to up my game and start keeping sps, especially plating montis and easier branching varieties. At this time I don't dose, I was adding kalk to the RO but I think it's time to stop this and try dosing 'All For Reef' on a routine basis instead for stability.
I do battle very high nitrates and phosphates, I have recently added a GFO reactor and literally last week, a reactor for biopellets.
I would greatly appreciate experienced reefers here helping me to improve and reach that goal of sustaining SPS. I don't want to be an acropora legend, but just be able to keep the easier sps.
1668041412508.png

Hello all, my name is Tristan and I am a British immigrant who has moved to the North Shore and also, after 35 years, finally moved from freshwater cichlids and made the move to saltwater (and wish I'd done it years ago).
I have a 180 gallon 'reef' tank (with the few corals I've been able to keep alive, mainly softies, a few lps and gorgonians) with a lot of fish, plus a connected display 60gallon cube refugium and another 50 or so gallons in the recently added sump (after I finally gave up on trying for the last 2 years to run the tank with the 3 FX6s I had when it was freshwater).
I would really, really love to up my game and start keeping sps, especially plating montis and easier branching varieties. At this time I don't dose, I was adding kalk to the RO but I think it's time to stop this and try dosing 'All For Reef' on a routine basis instead for stability.
I do battle very high nitrates and phosphates, I have recently added a GFO reactor and literally last week, a reactor for biopellets.
I would greatly appreciate experienced reefers here helping me to improve and reach that goal of sustaining SPS. I don't want to be an acropora legend, but just be able to keep the easier sps. View attachment 184664
You're tank looks great! For sure there is a learning curve to reefkeeping. Patience is key. Are you running a skimmer? I'd love to hear a rundown of your specs (Lighting etc).

Cheers,

Joe

I would greatly appreciate experienced reefers here helping me to improve and reach that goal of sustaining SPS. I don't want to be an acropora legend, but just be able to keep the easier sps. View attachment 184664

Wow beautiful set up welcome to the club

You're tank looks great! For sure there is a learning curve to reefkeeping. Patience is key. Are you running a skimmer? I'd love to hear a rundown of your specs (Lighting etc).

Cheers,

Joe
Should I do a thread up in a specific section of the forum for the rundown on my tank and ask about my SPS woes and nutrients? I was thinking it would be easier to film the tank with my phone rather than do a load of photos.
I am running a Reef Octopus Regal 200 External Recirculating skimmer (only recently after adding the sump and removing the FX6s, prior to that it was an internal Tunze 9012, the change has been monumental in the amount of skimmate and the 'potency' of what's being drawn out - ask my wife about the smell XD ))
My hydras were recently upgraded from 3 of the Hydra AI 32s to the 64s, I turned these down from the high I was running the 32s at as I now have far greater spread with the 64s.
That photo was taken a while back, as you can still see the old FX6s intakes and returns in it and the BTAs which, along with their maroon clown pair, were removed and relocated to the display refugium to the left of the tank (I got very bored with the BTAs brushing up against and utterly murdering any corals, and the splitting/relocating).

Welcome.
If you are looking for montipora, I have a large collection of montipora available, from frag to large colonies, encrusting, plating and branching.

Last edited:
Should I do a thread up in a specific section of the forum for the rundown on my tank and ask about my SPS woes and nutrients?
Yes, we'd love a Build Thread
I was thinking it would be easier to film the tank with my phone rather than do a load of photos.
As far as video goes, you have to upload to one of the many video hosting sites such as YouTube or Vimeo first, then post the link in the thread.

Welcome.
If you are looking for montipora, I have a large collection of montipora available, from frag to large colonies, encrusting, plating and branching.
As soon as I've resolved my issues with nutrients, stn and so on, I'd love to stop by and take a look.

Back