On generator :(

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
A note to everyone here....CHECK your backup plan.

The power has been out here for a couple of hours, and I discovered that in my recent fish room re-organization, I plugged my mail circulation pump into the circuit that does NOT have generator backup. (DOH!) I also had a feed line to a tank that back siphoned 30 gallons of water OUT of a 75gallon frag tank back into my sump, and exposing the powerheads (which were still running) to the air. (Double DOH!)

Test test test.

Fortunately, I was home to fix the problems, fumbling around in the dark. No floods (a miracle for me), no real issues.

It's cold out. Power goes out. Have a plan, and test whatever plan you have to make sure you can preserve your reef as best you can. You owe it to the life in your tank.

Only took 4.5 yrs, but looks like you are starting to get it :p

Maybe you can retire the flood master title?

Maybe that is jumping the gun :D

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Jay. Just imagine how things could be if you did not plan. Good to hear that you overcame this hurtle with minimal issue.

Power is back on....everything worked pretty close to as well as it was supposed to.

However, I discovered that one of my clowns (breeding pair) jumped :(

total bummer.

I found my UPS battery thing dead the other day. Funny that I bought it to save my tank but in the end it couldn't save itself ...

Sorry for your loss by the way :(

We finally installed a 20K watt standby generator - has its own propane tank too and will go on after 15 seconds of no power. How do you spell relief? It will run the whole house. Not cheap but everyone is happy.

I have a real problem with voltage in my tanks but something to do with the lack of grounding in the whole house. Next project will be to put a grounding rod through the concrete floor in the basement and another one (to total 2) outside. If you are barefoot in my basement and touch running water in the sink you will get zapped. I have decided to replace heaters every year...

I bought the 13k and it moved to the new house. Wish the 20k was within reach for me, but a few years ago, you were getting into water cooled and diesel at that size.

It is amazing how much every AMP counts when you are limited to 70 for brief peaks!

Back