On going project

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
On going project for a Mandarine tank

I am trying to built a home that is suitable for housing a mandarine fish.

My wife reminded me that I said I would get a mandarine after the visit to NEAQ.

I need suggestions. Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like a neat theme for a tank. You'll definitely want to have a big fuge on a mandarin tank for the breeder 'pods, and the tank will have to be quite large if it is going to support more than one mandarin.

Also if you're starting a mandarin tank from scratch, be prepared to let the tank mature for nearly a year before you start putting mandarins in.

Nate

It is not going to be from scratch, I am going to use my 55 gallon softy tank with marco alge in it. Now, there are several fish in it:
1 maroon clown
1 yellow tang
1 neon dottyback
2 green gobies

Which one/ones I need to take out before I put a Mandarin in? Thanks

frazmanw said:
Couldn't you add a Mandarin to a refugium?

The danger would be that there would be no reserved population of breeders to replenish the pods, so you could potentially lower the numbers below a level from which they could recover, and still support the mandarins.

dz6t said:
Now, there are several fish in it:
1 maroon clown
1 yellow tang
1 neon dottyback
2 green gobies

Which one/ones I need to take out before I put a Mandarin in? Thanks

I'd think those guys would be ok with a mandarin. Only questionable one might be the neon dottyback, if she's a particularly mean one.

Nate's right... The dottyback could be an issue for two reasons. First of all, they tend to get uppity with other slow moving fish who cruise the same terrtory. Even if that is not an issue, the dottyback also competes (and probably will outcompete) for the same foods in the same hunting grounds.

I'm in the process of removing a wrasse and scooter from my tank to make it more manderin friendly.

You could always put a mandarin in a fuge, but then it is a refuge only to the mandarin ;) the pods would be under a constant battle to keep up their numbers. You are better off having a large in-line fuge that feeds the mandarin tank. They are more interested in the planktonic sized (juvenile) pods and mysid etc. anyways. Leave the adults to the fuge to reproduce and let the offspring flow into your display.

Dave

Back