? on suicidal 6 line

skyedolphan

Non-member
:( :( :(
OK my 6 line decided to do a suicide jump today that was interupted sometime after when my mom came screaming forme with a fish in hand
he was not breathing and stiff but being me I couldnt deal with that ( TG)
so I placed him in the water in front of the outlet and pressure on the gills and stomach after about 3 minutes he gasped held him for another 12 minutes he tried to swim free and I let him he has been sitting at the bottom of the tank in his favorite spot for over 2 hours now he is breathing and eyes are moving still kinda has that sideways arch to his body though my ? is I guess
what are his chances and will he make it without being brain dead? dont make fun of me I freaked

Most fish can stay out of water for a little while, it sounds liike he is a good chance of making it.. hope you saved it!

That is why I worry about open lid tanks.. I've had a fish jump out too .. didn't discover it till weeks later...

this is my first jumper in almost a year my last one in over 2 years was my dominoe but i really think he chose suicide cause he was tired of me trying to bait/ catch him and figured he would give me a break
ok maybe not
but i use to sit there every nite for a month with a hook and line
smartest fish i ever met :)

I've rescued way too many beta fish that my cat loved to scoop out of their little tank when I had them. Some were stiff and dry and still came back. If they lived, The most likely perminant problem I saw was eye damage. The skin (or scales I guess) would almost always peel like a sunburn after a few days then look fine, and some of the outer edge of the fins would fall off and grow back. It is a little scarry that I have so much first hand experience in this.

Reminds me of the time my friend bought some guppies from the LFS. He opens the bag in the sink and all the fish fall out into the drain where the incinerator is. His hand is too big to fit so I fish around in there to save them.. all the time praying that stupid thing doesn't go spinning off on its own. try grabbing slimy fish blind imagining your hand gettiing chopped off all the time, not fun. anyway, after many many minutes all the fish were saved and survived!

Glad to hear the fish made it :)

6 lines are know jumpers. I lost one in that manner. You are going to have to cover your tank or you will lose it again.

I do understand that I have had him app. 6 months now this is the first incident and i believe it is cause I was in the tank earlier rearraging one side I can not cover tank but I do have it pretty well where if they jump they hit the curtain and will fall into the tank not floor but I had taken the curtains down due to reaquascaping and hadnt gotten around to putting it back up yet ..hoping for no further problems

Back