Openion Ushio 20k bulbs

Doherty

Non-member
Just picked up a Ushio 20k bulb, I really like the color.

Was wondering if anyone had personal experience with coral growth, PAR ratings with these bulbs.

Had Ushio 10k bulbs...... great growth loved the brand, I know with 20k bulbs you wont see as great growth r/t spectrum ...... was just wondering how they compair.

Thanks!

Just picked up a Ushio 20k bulb, I really like the color.

Was wondering if anyone had personal experience with coral growth, PAR ratings with these bulbs.

Had Ushio 10k bulbs...... great growth loved the brand, I know with 20k bulbs you wont see as great growth r/t spectrum ...... was just wondering how they compair.

Thanks!

Have you ever tried the 14K?
It only has a slight blue to it compared to 20K I'm sure.
I've gotten excellent growth from my Ushio 14Ks over the last year.
Just added some actinic supplemental light a few weeks ago.

The growth with the 150W DE 14K is ridiculous, but the color is pretty white. The consensus on this board appears to be just that.

I recently bought the 20K but haven't made the swap yet. I have no actinic supplementation...if I did, the 14K would probably be great.

No never tried the 14k....... Something I may look into depending on the growth rates.

The 20k Ushio is currently over my LPS tank, just swapped out my 4 bulb T5HO that was over the tank. I was tired of looking at the bulky fixture. My LPS tank is only 10in deep, so the depth should not be an issue.

No never tried the 14k....... Something I may look into depending on the growth rates.

The 20k Ushio is currently over my LPS tank, just swapped out my 4 bulb T5HO that was over the tank. I was tired of looking at the bulky fixture. My LPS tank is only 10in deep, so the depth should not be an issue.

::....You went from T5 to halides?...just kidding.
I'm pretty sure reefried has 20k Ushio bulbs.
Maybe he'll check in later with a report.I do know the color was blue,but not overly blue.

Yeah the color is very similar to that of the t5 bulb combo I was using. Just fired it up this am....... So I expect a bit of color shift over the next week or so. I had good growth with the t5s, if it has similar growth rates I will be happy, If it has better growth....... that's even better. Was just tired of looking at it. Now I have a pendant over it....... much better viewing. It is 24"x24"x10" high...... Much better top down viewing.

matt....if you go see Jeremy at CRA he has the ushio 14k bulb above the tank that is right in front of you as soon as you walk in the door...you can compare that to the 14k phoenix he has over his aggressive fish tank to the left i think the color of that is pretty close toa 20k ushio...he'll be able to give you first hand advice on any bulb and growth...I would assume that living in Fall River you go there for your stuff right?

matt....if you go see Jeremy at CRA he has the ushio 14k bulb above the tank that is right in front of you as soon as you walk in the door...you can compare that to the 14k phoenix he has over his aggressive fish tank to the left i think the color of that is pretty close toa 20k ushio...he'll be able to give you first hand advice on any bulb and growth...I would assume that living in Fall River you go there for your stuff right?

Yeah..... I will prob pass the ques. by Jeremy. I go to CRA most of the time. Im surprised he has a phoenix 14 over one of his tanks...... We had a conversation about a year ago and he did not have many good things to say about the bulbs.

I stopped at Skiptons the other day because my wife had a few appointments in Boston and saw that B was using them over a few of his tanks and I liked the color. I should have asked him.

I will have see on the growth, and If I dont like it will end up going with an Ushio 14... In about a year from now.

I have the ushio 10k, they are pretty bla for color, almost yellow

Yeah frank, I know what you mean. When I used the 10k about a year ago I did not mind the color. It did not really showcase the colors of the corals at all. Esp the greens, which I have alot now. The 20k makes the greens glow:)
Oh well..... we will see

he doesn't have the 14k over his corals...only over a fish only tank...he doesn't like them for coral growth. And i'm sure he'll tell you the same thing about the ushio 20.

i run 2 150 14ks nice blue color 2 them i also have 2 39watt t5s figi purple and atinic+ adding 2 more atinic plus on a work horse7 2 do the 4 t5s should be some nice color on a 58 gallon

i run 2 150 14ks nice blue color 2 them i also have 2 39watt t5s figi purple and atinic+ adding 2 more atinic plus on a work horse7 2 do the 4 t5s should be some nice color on a 58 gallon

I have 2- 54 watt T5,UV Super Actinic.I know everyone raves about the Blue plus,but these bulbs rock.:)

my opinion on ushio 20k= Why not run radiums? ;)

Edit-unless of course we're talking double ended 150 watt bulbs! Doh!

Back