Opinions of Radion xr15 g4

mbian112283

Non-member
I have a 45g Jbj which is 25.6"W x 15.5D x 18.5"T. I plan to have a mixed reef with very little sps some Lps and mostly mushrooms and zoas and possible a BTA. Do you think one radion xr15 would work? I know they say 24" × 24" coverage and BRS recommends 18" x 18". Looking for some real world experience and opinion.

The radion is a great light, but with your configuration, you may be a little disappointed. You will probably get too little light on the sides.

For what you are planning, I suggest the Photon 16 from ReefBreeders. That will give you plenty of light across you whole tank. A few bucks cheaper too.

For the corals you are planning on keeping you can get away with a less expensive light that will offer better coverage. The radion would work and you could put the sps corals directly under the fixture. If you were keeping all high light corals then the radion would be a great option but you would probably want to consider two of them for your size tank.

I agree on the photon or a light similar to that for the savings and better spread. There are plenty of options out there and almost anything would work for zoas, mushrooms etc.. Even a chinese black box could work for those corals honestly.

I currently have a ocean revive 247 and have had a non branded eBay light before. What makes me want to change is the ability to see and set it to a spectrum more then percentage.
I was thinking to eventually have two radion but also thought about two AI prime hd which is more cost friendly. Any other suggestions for led lights that allow for a Gui where you can set to spectrum?

My 2 cents, I have a 40 breeder that I converted from MH/t5 combo to LED. I originally bought a Radion XR30 pro gen3 and my corals suffered. They did grow but we’re starved for light. I ended up adding two XR15 pro gen 4 to it as well and am very happy with the current set up. So to answer your question, that fixture in my opinion will not be enough and unless you’re willing to part with a small fortune, I’d source some other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have the xr15 on my Nuvo 38g. Pretty much same display dimension as yours. I am happy with the light. No issues growing anything. I have two, but only using one at 60%.

Back