@$%#*& Ouch!

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
I just brushed into my magnifica anemone while cleaning the glass, @$%^@ that @$#%@ hurts! Only two tentacles touched the underside of my arm and only with the tip, but I have a big welt the size of half dollar and growing. Hurts like a wasp sting, but bigger.

I took benadryl and that usually prevents the blistering, but I'm not sure if it will work this time. This particular anemone has a much stronger sting than any of the magnificas I've handled before.

Anyone have good painful reef stories to take my mind off of my arm?

I just brushed into my magnifica anemone while cleaning the glass, @$%^@ that @$#%@ hurts! Only two tentacles touched the underside of my arm and only with the tip, but I have a big welt the size of half dollar and growing. Hurts like a wasp sting, but bigger.

I took benadryl and that usually prevents the blistering, but I'm not sure if it will work this time. This particular anemone has a much stronger sting than any of the magnificas I've handled before.

Will soaking your arm in vinegar help? I know it helps with bristles worms. Sounds like you're pretty sensative to these Cindy. Any how, it's good to see you are rebuilding "magnifica world" again.

Very hot water is supposed to work the best, but doesn't do much. In theory that will denature the proteins that cause the sting. you have to be careful to not burn yourself and make the situation worse though. I always wash really well just for infections sake when this happens though.

Vinegar doesn't do much, but the old wives cure for jellyfish stings (eew) actually helps a little if you are desperate.

I am probably getting more sensitive to them the more times I get hit, but this little guy (smaller than a tennis ball) is tiny enough that he may have a more powerful juvenile sting since babies might get by more on solids than on light at first (that is just speculation though, almost nothing is known about baby magnificas)

I hope this benadryl kicks in soon, the hot red area is bigger than my outstretched hand now, but the pain has gone down a lot... Stupid anemone.

I don't much about magnifica but if it hurts like a bug bite maybe you should treat as a bug bite.

Maybe meat tenderizer to help denature the sting proteins?

Sorry for your sting......

You shouldn't have stung me Johnny.

My mother stung me once ... ONCE! :D

It's fine today. I think the majority of my problem past the initial hurt of the sting is the allergic reaction.

Once the benadryl kicked in the swelling went away and I just have the red marks where the tentacles touched. If I hadn't taken the meds I would have a blistery spot the size of my hand just like poison ivy.

You shouldn't have stung me Johnny.

My mother stung me once ... ONCE! :D
LOL!

It's fine today. I think the majority of my problem past the initial hurt of the sting is the allergic reaction.

Once the benadryl kicked in the swelling went away and I just have the red marks where the tentacles touched. If I hadn't taken the meds I would have a blistery spot the size of my hand just like poison ivy.

good news.

I'm only hearing reasons around here to NOT get an anemone!

I second the meat tenderizer... I grew up in florida and spent everyday after school at the beach. We actually used to carry in our beach bags :) Besdies, it seems a little less gross then old wive's method :eek:

What ever works! :eek: :D

"First, don't believe the rumors. Peeing on a stung bit of skin won't do much to relieve suffering, and you'll suffer some odd stares, too, doctors say.

Urine has not been scientifically proven to help in jellyfish stings, said Dr. Paul Auerbach, an emergency physician at Stanford University Hospital and an expert on jellyfish stings.

Instead, vinegar is the best first treatment, he said, when treating stings from North American jellyfish."

Apparently it doesn't really work! so there :p Not to mention for us girls, it could be a little difficult depending on where the sting is :D

Back