overflow box drain pipe question...

walzy444

Sushi Anyone?
Ok.. so this is my first reef ready and sump system.
In my overflow box.. the drain pipe fits in the bulkhead hole.. but not tight.. it flops around...
The return pipe fits tight (I don't even know if it comes out or not.. but im not gonna play with it anyways)
Also, the return pipe is weird.. its a pipe inside a pipe.. it pretty much pulls apart and extends. Sooo I don't know if it is suppose to sit loose in the bulkhead or if it is suppose to be tight.
I did a test and filled the overflow halfway up with 2 gallons of water.. the drain dripped constantly pretty quick, but over all the water didn't come gushing down the tube.. Should I put some silicone around the tube and stick it in the bulkhead? that way it is water tight, but I can still pull the pipe out if need be?
Here are some pics...
intake1.jpg

intake2.jpg

Here is the drain pipe...
intake01.jpg

And here is it exteded out... no idea...lol
intake.jpg

I wrapped a little bit of teflon tape around my stand pipe so it was a little more secure in the bulkhead

Teflon tape works well for holding it in the bulkhead if it's real loose. The pipe in a pipe is to set the height of the water in the overflow. The further down the water is the more waterfall noise you will get. I kept mine about 2" down from the top of the overflow and it was pretty quiet. HTH!

Back