Overflow Boxes..

these work fine i have one myself. just make sure you get an aqua lifter for the u tube that carries the water from the front to the back part of the overflow box, sometimes they lose the syphon.

i used to run the u tube style. as my tanks got bigger, they just couldn't handle the flow.
i switched to the CPR even though alot had negative things to say about them

I loved them. quiet, the black acrylic on them helped cut down on the algae.

a powerhead intake adapter worked for me.

yes i can sell you one. The aqua lifter that is, i should have em in stock. I could also bring in the overflow box too if you wanted.

Scott Merrill said:
i used to run the u tube style. as my tanks got bigger, they just couldn't handle the flow.
i switched to the CPR even though alot had negative things to say about them

I loved them. quiet, the black acrylic on them helped cut down on the algae.

a powerhead intake adapter worked for me.
Scott, I thought U-Tubes had more flow? I have a CS90, and thought my older U-Tube one had more flow, but I could be wrong. The one thing I don't like, is my old U-tube literally never lost syphon. My CS90 does if I don't keep my aqualfter clean.

So.. I have a question on pump sizing..

That overflow box says it's rated at 600 gph.. Should I just buy a 600 gph return pump then, or do i need some magic math about head pressure and all that jazz? I'll be installing the sump in the stand below the tank, so thats approx 5 feet.

Mini4x said:
So.. I have a question on pump sizing..

That overflow box says it's rated at 600 gph.. Should I just buy a 600 gph return pump then, or do i need some magic math about head pressure and all that jazz? I'll be installing the sump in the stand below the tank, so thats approx 5 feet.

magic math always helps.

don't buy a pump thats 600gph at 0 head and expect to get 600gph out of it.

smcnally said:
Scott, I thought U-Tubes had more flow? I have a CS90, and thought my older U-Tube one had more flow, but I could be wrong. The one thing I don't like, is my old U-tube literally never lost syphon. My CS90 does if I don't keep my aqualfter clean.

my u tube overflow would not handle a mag 18. i switched to CPR and worked great.

I was looking at marine depot and with 5' of head pressure you need more like a 1000gph pump to get 600gph out, depending on brand, results may vary.

powerhead_via_aqua_graph.jpg

also, when you are looking at pumps, look what theyre actually rated at. The mags are rated at 0'. The sen pumps are rated at 3'. Some are rated at 4'.

So the number on the front of the box isnt exactly whats going on.

Is it better to 'oversize'.. and throttle it back some.

I am looking at the Blueline 30 HD-X External Water Pump
1"-1"MPT
13 ft Max Head
1110 GPH Flow Rate @ 0 ft

Or would it be wise to go up a size to the 40 HD-X?
13 ft Max Head
1270 GPH Flow Rate @ 0 ft

Back