Overflow siphon: Good, bad or ugly

Jamba

Non-member
Hi All:

I have a 30 gallon reef and am thinking of adding a refugium-sump.

My tank is not drilled which means I would need to use an overflow siphon.

Do you have experience with these? If yes, do they work ok? Which brands look good? Tubes or continious overflow?

I have a powerhead with the venturi on, so I am thinking the bubbles could break the siphon. Is that right?

Thanks,

Jamba

I run a cpr overflow in my 90gal. I run clear tubing into my sump attached to a penguin powerhead to keep the siphon and restart if power goes out. My siphon break on the return pipe is a hole drilled at or just below the water line (members suggestion..works great). So far so good....about a year now running this way. Orig I was using an aqualifter to keep siphon but it kept clogging after a few months...went thru 3 or 4 before I switched to the powerhead in sump.

Wasse Fan

What is the GPH on the Penguin? Is it the venturi intake on the Penguin that is attached to the CPR overflow?

Jamba, yes you would attach the venturi hose of the powerhead to suck out the air in the overflow tube. This was when the power comes back on after an outage the siphon will start again.

I'm using either the 660 or 1120 (not at home to check)...and yes to the venturi. I transition from the reg tubing to the stuff used on the rodi units to fit the hole. I change the air line about every 6-9mo. to make sure it is clear and no restrictions.

CPRs are to dependent on the pump to keep syphon go with a u-tube style lifereef or a if you want a cheaper solution an amiracle overflow never had a flood with these CPRs are famous for floods. JME

I agree with delta, I used an amiracle overflow with a u-tube and had no issues at all. They require maintanence like everything, the only maintanence is to check the u-tube every coupla days for an air bubble (proper amounts of flow throught the tube prevent this but my return pump was weak at the time) at the top which could break the siphon. ( if you have you system setup right the worst that should happen on a siphon break is to run the return pump dry) My return section does not contain enough water to overflow my tank (this may increase the need for regular evap top-off). You also don't need to use the venturi on the powerhead with an overflow (if you are using it for oxygenation), the action of the overflow/sump will be sufficient to cause gas exchange.

This is just my experience and opinion YMMV.

The best advice is to get your tank drilled at any cost and not have to worry about it!!!! I sleep much better at night with a drilled tank, and any glass store can cut some 1/8" plate glass for an overflow and a little silicone and your all set.

HTH, although I am sure I may have missed something. :rolleyes:
Steve

I've been using the Americle overflow ever since I set up the tank(1.5 years) and abosolutely no problem. I cant say that it wont cause you any problem because of how often you clean it and how much nutrient your tank has in it. More nutrient=more algae in the u-tube. and when you dont clean it, you asking for a flood to happen.
I'd would stay away from the cpr overflow because it uses a pump to keep siphoning.

Back