Overnight mystery tank disaster

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
I'm so sad this morning. I woke up to a mystery disaster. I have a 42g hex tank plumbed into my large system. This morning one large clown and all four filefish were dead. Survivers are one smaller clown and two cardinal fish. The only tank change is that the siphon is broken between the hex and the system, but in reflection, that may have happened several days ago. The tank has its own powerhead and batery backup airstone, so there should be no immediate issue with it being disconnected from the main system. In fact I run it this way frequently as an anemone psudo QT.

This is a tough big loss, my mated pair of (eating) orange spotted files, my new couple (maybe pair) of barred files which were also eating, and a large female pink skunk which was pairing with an orange skunk, but had not yet laid eggs.

It looks like maybe O2 deprivation is the cause. Larger fish look like they died first. But how the heck did the tank get O2 deprived? Maybe the female clown died and caused an ammonia spike? She is the only one that looks like she has been dead for more than a couple of hours. Maybe the powerhead jammed and worked itself back on when I jostled it and I didn't notice? with any power problem, the backup air would have been on. I just don't know. :(

I am running a bubble line now and the remaining fish have perked up. Some brittle stars are dead and my porcelain crab was uncharacteristically at the top of the rockwork until the bubbles got going.

I am so bummed!

To add insult to injury, the female clown had eggs in her, so it would have been the first (to my knowledge) captive pairing of a pink and orange skunk. The male (who survived) has torn up lips from cleaning the rock.

If she had died (maybe egg bound or something) could it have killed the other tankmates overnight like that? The other fish look like they have not been dead long. The eyes aren't even cloudy.

Did I mention how much this sucks?

Wow Cindy, this is a hard one to take. From the way the tank's inhabitants reacted when you placed an air stone in the tank, it definitely sounds like O2 deprivation imo. The fact that the largest fish died first is also a good indicator. It probably snowballed from there, possibly along with a slight ammonia spike.

Cindy,

>It looks like maybe O2 deprivation is the cause. Larger fish look like they died first.<

I'd agree as well. Unless this tank had it's own skimmer, or some other method of O2 introduction (powerhead near the surface) it's possible that simply the loss of recirculation to another system that was O2 rich (has a skimmer, right) would be enough to push it over the edge. Also if temp was high O2 would be low, but with the cool weather we've been having that doesn't seem likely (was it sunny yesterday? did this tank get a lot of sun and warm up?). I seriously doubt that an ammonia spike from a moderate sized fish or two dead overnight would directly kill anything. Did you feed a ton of food that day?

I'm very sorry to hear about the losses, particular the Filefish.

Sorry to hear that Cindy ... bummer.

I will also echo what Greg and Don have said, that o2 deprivation was prob the cause.

The thing is, I think this tank has had the siphon broken with the system for at least a couple of days judging by the water level and salinity. It is normally just a slow water exchange anyway (maybe 1 gal/min), not any flow to speak of. There is no skimmer on this tank, just the powerhead which stirs the surface and creates a good circular flow all the way to the bottom. We have never had any sign of O2 issues when the tank is disconnected from the system. All fish were acting completely normal when we went to bed and I have been paying very close attention to the fish in here because of the new files. I was trying to figure out if they might be a male and female, so I was taking a lot of video and watching them a lot. The only odd thing I noticed yesterday was that the female clown was keeping her dorsal fin completely extended a lot more than normal and I watched her for a while to see her put it down. I thought it might have been stuck or something.

My only theory is that the powerhead jammed and restarted when I messed with the tank seeing dead fish this morning. I know it sounds unlikely, but maybe it jammed and restarted or the plug got loosened and reconnected. I do remember the tank and surface looking still when I found it, but I didn't notice if the powerhead was on or off at the time. The battery bubbler was functional and not on or with run down batteries, so it wasn't a power outage.

I really don't know.

Last edited:
Sorry Nate, you did know her. She is survived by an ex husband (who has recently had a sex change), her live in boyfriend, 60-70 children and 1200+ grandchildren currently living in eggs under an anemone

Sorry Nate, you did know her. She is survived by an ex husband (who has recently had a sex change), her live in boyfriend, 60-70 children and 1200+ grandchildren currently living in eggs under an anemone

That's a pretty good track legacy! :) Sorry you lost her. You sure were doing neat stuff, with her assistance.

I figure she must have been at least 5 years old though, if she was young when I got her. Not a bad run.

Glad to hear her was-band has finally found a body she can feel comfortable in.

>My only theory is that the powerhead jammed and restarted when I messed with the tank seeing dead fish this morning. I know it sounds unlikely, but maybe it jammed and restarted or the plug got loosened and reconnected. I do remember the tank and surface looking still when I found it, <

I'd bet that was it. A small powerhead can sometimes be enough to provide O2, particularly if it's near the surface. You might want to consider a 2nd powerhead, or a dedicated skimmer for the tank if you plan to disconnect it from the main tank often in the future.

so sorry Cindy. I once lost 3 fish in a QT to a jammed MJ1200.....but long time livestock is an even worse loss.....

My QT now has a sump, and a little CRA skimmer (when it is setup), as Greg suggested

So very sorry Cindy.Thats a difficult loss to bear. I hate mystery deaths. You drive yourself nuts to make sure there is no repeat event, but it's hard to do when your not sure how it happened! I agree that it's pretty likely O2 depletion, just not sure of the sequence of events. Could the temp have been a little higher that night?

Back