Overstocked or not

buffalobill

Non-member
I just went down to the LFS and saw a coral beauty that wanted. Not sure if he would work in my tank.

I have a 90 gallon
1 Hippo tang
1 Yellow tang
1 clown
1 chromie
1 watchman goby
2 peppermints
1 coral banded
1 cleaner

snails
hermits

Softies,
zoos, galaxia,hammer, toadstool, green tree,GSP, button polyps mushrooms

Any advice. I'm ready to go down there right now. Someone talk me out of it or talk me into it. Also if the Coral beauty a no go what about a flame angel or stay away from both.....

IMO, I don't think it's a good idea. I personally think that a 90 is on the small side for a hippo so since you already have it I would consider him a few fish as far as adding to the bioload. I would not do another good size fish...only smaller fish.

I have a yellow tang and smaller fish in my 90.

I think your OK go for it!! I would not have both Tangs but your other fish are on the small side.

i dont see a problem with it. as long as you keep up with your water changes on a bi weekly basis there should be no problem IMO. yes the tangs do get a bit large... but keeping water clean is a must

I don't think you are necessarily overstocked. I would say you have one or two fish that will need more swimming room than a 90 allows.

I don't think you are necessarily overstocked. I would say you have one or two fish that will need more swimming room than a 90 allows.
I agree with this, pretty much.
I will specify my thinking that the hippo may get too big for the 90.
In time, if you get rid of the hippo or get a bigger tank, then everything would be fine.
I'd get the new fish.

Buy one for me too. ;)

you snooze you lose. Sucks oh well. It was nice looking fish. My B day coming up give me some time to save a little more. Would a Flame Angel be ok instead of the coral beauty. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin

My flame angel is a coral nipper. If I ever get home for long enough, it's fish trap time.

Coral is VERY, VERY expensive fish food, IMO

Both are potential coral nippers. I add my voice to those saying that your hippo long term will really be too big for a 90 G tank.

I have a potters pygmy angelfish and IMO they are prettier than the coral beauty. I was told that the Potters' are less likely to nip and I have not had a problem with him nipping at any corals.

~knocks on wood, throws salt over shoulder~

I'll design the first ever fish muzzle if he does start nipping!

Back