Overstocked?

Matt L.

Non-member
Okay, as I always say, if you have to ask if you are overstocked, then you are overstocked, but I am curious if I am near, at, or exceeded the stocking capacity of my tank.

I have an established 6ft 125gal tank with what I would say is a lot of rock and coral. I skim and use a sulfur denitrator, but at the time, have no refugium. I dutifully do a 20% water change every week to keep nitrates near zero.

I have:
  • 1 Majestic Angel 5"
  • 1 Tenneti Tang 6"
  • 5 Lyretail Anthias (1.5" to 3" each, pretty uniformly distributed in that size range)
  • 1 mated pair of true percula clowns (1.5" and 3")
  • 1 yellow headed solon fairy wrasse 4"
  • 1 Mystery Wrasse 3.5"
I think that comes out to a total of 32" or something.

The Tenneti tang is almost full grown, and the Majestic Angel, while not full grown, grows at a very slow pace. Most of the other fish will not get much larger (maybe the Mystery wrasse will, but that is it).

I do not plan to upgrade int he near future.

I have always felt like there was a little more room, and I had thought about a zoster butterfly. My question is, will a typical zoster butterfly acquired at 2.5" - 4" fit? Will more than one fit? I suspect they do better in groups.

Three at 4 inches would bring me to 44", although the stocking density calculation of inch per volume is obsolete.

Matt:cool:

Last edited:
Back