ozone injected into skimmer or uv serilizer???

zax_papa

I miss my reef
I am aware of health risks due to leaking ozone. What I really want to know is if any one has used either and with what results.

I have run ozone into my skimmer for years with great results! Run it low for a while then turn it off, I used to run it 24 hours/day for 2-3 days every 2-3 weeks. The tank is right in my livingroom. As long as you can not smell it you will be fine, if you can smell it you are over dosing and should turn it down. I used to use a controller but just dont trust them enough and would hate to make my family sick because of a bad controller

running zone thru a skimmer is risky...it degrades the acrylic & welds...Certain skimmers are better than others to use...I wouldn't suggest running it thru a downdraft skimmer like etss...Pm has a special port on their becket canister & they make a very good product so that skimmer would be ok to run it thru...
Still a risk long term though!!!

I won't go into the specifics of results though...Cause that will cue this thread to go down in flames......

That is why your not getting much feedback!!!! :p

I also run ozone through my skimmer. I believe that it is recommended to run the exiting water over activated carbon to break down any remaining ozone. I have read other opinions that the life of the ozone in water is so short that this is not necessary. Just to be safe, I do run my water over carbon. Additionally, you have to run the air coming out of the skimmer through charcoal. With the charcoal, there is no noticeable smell in my fish room. If I take the cover of the skimmer cup off, the smell is very noticeable.

As Aquaman said, ozone can degrade many plastics and rubbers/seals. So, if you choose to do this, buy a skimmer that is built for use with ozone.

As for the benefits of ozone, everybody has their own opinions. Mine is that a small amount of ozone goes a long way in clearing up water. All of the reports that I have seen of problems have been due to gross overdosing.

JD

Ozone and UV accomplish different tasks. UV's kill suspended bacteria and if you have suspended algae, may kill some of them.

Ozone degrades certain organics, reducing yellowing of the water.

So they are not either/or pieces of equipment.

I use ozone but do not think a UV is useful in most reef situations.

I discuss ozone in these articles, including dosing it into a skimmer and how that is diffeent than using it in a dedicated ozone reactor:

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

Jmo

I have both...they don't get used much at all...but they are still a nice thing to have in case you get in a pinch... using ea can create a fallout in your reef if you overdo it!!! You must consider if planning on using any one or both to proceed with caution!!!

HTH
B

Thats more like it!!!
Thanks for the info.
I have a MTC skimmer with the ozone port so it is meant to have it.
I also have the external collection cup with a charcoal vent so smell wont be an issue.
I absolutly agree with JD46 on the fact that moderation is the key and to start slowly.
Thanks again guys

Back