Paul B's thread

OOOOoohhhhhhNNNNNNooooooo.......I was "playing" behind my reef tank putting a 5 gallon office water cooler bottle (empty) on a shelf. It fell off into my 5' skimmer. Instant flood. OMG, I thought the skimmer broke as water was spurting out really fast.

It is the DIY acrylic chamber that is connected to the skimmer and sets the height of the water in the skimmer.
I built it a few years ago from 1/4" Plexiglas but I didn't build it strong enough to have a 5 gallon bucket bang into it from a height.

The seam on the side of the thing opened up. I had to remove it and now I am waiting for the acrylic solvent to set.
It also feeds water to my reverse undergravel filter and algae scrubber so those things will be off line today.

Skimmer attachment.JPG

It has an adjustable "bulkhead" inside that can be raised or lowered and being it is on the outflow of the skimmer, the water in this device sets the height of the water in the skimmer

We are having a bunch of company for dinner tonight so I have been cooking and baking all day. I am making Manhattan clam chowder for the people who like (and asked) for that.

The other couple don't eat sea food, (must be Communists) so we are making them meatloaf. I also baked 2 loaves of rosemary olive oil bread Italian bread and made Bruschetta which will go on this bread after I slightly toast it.

For a side on the meatloaf I am making Rosemary, lemon potatoes. :D

Rice pudding for dessert

We are having a bunch of company for dinner tonight so I have been cooking and baking all day. I am making Manhattan clam chowder for the people who like (and asked) for that.

The other couple don't eat sea food, (must be Communists) so we are making them meatloaf. I also baked 2 loaves of rosemary olive oil bread Italian bread and made Bruschetta which will go on this bread after I slightly toast it.

Rice pudding for dessert
Enjoy Paul

Rice pudding for dessert
I’m on my way! :)

Paul, I do like pork chops and meatloaf, but I never in my life ordered those or a steak in a restaurant. Normally, if they have any sort of seafood I will order that. If they don't serve seafood, unless I am forced to, I won't go there. :)

Last week I mixed up 30 gallons of ASW. I am a little afraid to use NSW right now due to all the rain we had. The last time I used it, I had a produce farm.

A day after I mixed it, it had a weird chemical smell that I never noticed before. (It's Instant Ocean) After a few days, the smell dissipated so I didn't know if I should use it or not. I really don't want to crash the tank over something so silly as a water change. Not that I change so much water.

Anyway, to test it, I put a small torch coral in the new water to see if it croaks or burst into flames. It's been 15 minutes and so far the coral doesn't seem to even know it is in new water so if it looks good in an hour, I will change it. :)

So I have been coughing my brains out for a week and a TV crew is coming here in 4 days so I don't want to look like I am croaking when they are here. Normally I wouldn't care but I wanted to see if a Dr. could give me something to suppress this cough at least for a couple of days. After that I could get Diphtheria, irritable Bowell or appendicitis.

In the meantime, my wife wanted me to go out and get celery keeping in mind that we are in the middle of a blizzard and are supposed to get 8" of snow.
This was early this morning when it just started.
Snow.JPG

I get to the Supermarket and weave between the snow plows to get inside for celery.

The saleslady said to me, You came out on a day like this for celery? I said, yes. I am married. Do you think my Mother would send me out on a day like this for celery?

Anyway today my wife has an appointment for a MRI and the MRI place don't answer the phone so I figured I would drive the 8 miles there to see if they were open. Of course not. Bunch of Sissies. A couple of inches of snow and the world stops.

But next to the MRI place is one of those "Doc in a Box" places. You know where they advertise, no waiting, instant care and all that.

I go in and the place is pretty empty, like 2 people waiting. I go to the "nurse" at the window and ask if this is one of those "immediate care places". She says yes. But there is no doctor here and he may get here in 2 or 3 hours if he comes in at all.

I told her, that isn't exactly the "Immediate" care I am looking for...Bye.

The world is full of Sissies and Snowflakes. In the almost 50 years I worked in Manhattan I never took off because of weather, and in the 70s we used to measure snow by the foot, not inches. I don't remember exactly when so many people lost the ability to do anything even remotely difficult. :confused:

I would be totally embarrassed to take off from work because of snow. After all, it's just sticky rain.

I would have to turn in my Man card :oops: And, Yes, I do have one. :)

I noticed my DIY skimmer wasn't making many bubbles so I checked it out. Eventually I have to remove the air/ozone inlet tube on the DIY venturi because it gets clogged. Normally I just take off the hose and stick a drill bit in it to clear it.

Of course I removed the hose and the acrylic tube broke. So I had to re drill the thing and glue in another tube. After a few years with ozone, the tubes get brittle. It isn't acrylic, some kind of hard, clear plastic.

So it's back together and if my tank doesn't empty out on the floor by tomorrow, I will know it is a success. :)

DIY Venturi.JPG

I normally walk around with a toothpick sticking out of my mouth. I quit smoking in Nam where cigarettes were free and started "smoking" toothpicks. My Grand Son, Teddy wants to look like me.

I used to do the toothpick thing until I fell and gave myself a tongue piercing, which was not something you did on purpose in those days. Thank goodness it healed quickly.

The world is full of Sissies and Snowflakes. In the almost 50 years I worked in Manhattan I never took off because of weather, and in the 70s we used to measure snow by the foot, not inches. I don't remember exactly when so many people lost the ability to do anything even remotely difficult. :confused:

I would be totally embarrassed to take off from work because of snow. After all, it's just sticky rain.

I would have to turn in my Man card :oops: And, Yes, I do have one. :)
I blame T-ball and "Participation trophys". We dumbed it too far down and ruined a generation (or 2....)
:ROFLMAO:

Back