perennial question: too many fish?

Ultramarine

www.lisabohnwagner.com
I'd like to get 2 fish: a Fridmani pseudochromis & a Red Sea Mimic blenny. They both grow to about 3". Things have been going fantastically (knock on live rock), lots of coral growth, excellent parameters, and I don't want to screw it up. Along with the jawfish I currently have that will be three 3" inch fish, but they should get along ok. Do you think three fish would be too much for this system?

The set-up:
33g cube
DSB
35-40# LR
Remora skimmer
2.5g refugium

Livestock:
1 pearly Jawfish
1 cleaner shrimp
1 Crocea clam
Several zoanthids
1 sm branching hammer
1 tiny unidentified SPS
2 tiny purple digi
Several rics & mushrooms
bunch of snails & hermits

Thanks!

i dont think you will have a problem. remember it is not all about the space but the water quality. if you do your water changes faithfully and keep your parameters normal you should be fine.

i dont think you will have a problem. remember it is not all about the space but the water quality. if you do your water changes faithfully and keep your parameters normal you should be fine.
I agree with Chris, and I agree that you should be okay. I would add one at a time.

The notion of fish length per gallon is archaic, and not really a good indicator.

However, I do agree that size does matter, at least in this instance. Water quality is an important factor, but not the only one. You also have to make sure you're not crowding your fish. Fish crowding can lead to a reduced life on your fish.

Matt:cool:

but considering the fish named i think that if each one has its own space , cave, or hiding spot you should be good. they are not active swimming fish like a butterfly but more of a hanging out and chilling kinda fish :)

That is true. I just didn't want people to get the wrong impression that the space associated with them doesn't matter.

Matt:cool:

Thanks, guys! I kinda figured it would be ok, but I thought I'd check it out with others. I know the inch per gallon thing is ridiculous, but I wanted to give people a better idea of the size of these fish in relation to the tank. As opposed to a panther grouper and a yellow tang. Thanks!

Back