Question: WiFi Connected Devices

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
Hey guys, I recently tried to setup my kamoer WiFi doser as well as a WiFi smart plug timer. Both of these devices need 2.4g WiFi connections instead of my 5g WiFi connection.
I reached out to CoralVue who is reaching out to Kamoer and have been waiting for an answer since Thursday.
I called Specrtrum and with their service, they don’t have an option to switch to 2.4 other than switching a particular device (my phone) to 2.4 for 60 minutes then back to 5g.
I’ve also seen the option to connect via Bluetooth but when in the app, it won’t give me the option to connect via Bluetooth, only WiFi.
Does anyone know a workaround?
Am I forced to just purchase a new doser?
I’m getting super frustrated as I’m getting really tired of hand dosing..
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Mike

Hey guys, I recently tried to setup my kamoer WiFi doser as well as a WiFi smart plug timer. Both of these devices need 2.4g WiFi connections instead of my 5g WiFi connection.
I reached out to CoralVue who is reaching out to Kamoer and have been waiting for an answer since Thursday.
I called Specrtrum and with their service, they don’t have an option to switch to 2.4 other than switching a particular device (my phone) to 2.4 for 60 minutes then back to 5g.
I’ve also seen the option to connect via Bluetooth but when in the app, it won’t give me the option to connect via Bluetooth, only WiFi.
Does anyone know a workaround?
Am I forced to just purchase a new doser?
I’m getting super frustrated as I’m getting really tired of hand dosing..
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Mike
What kind of router do you have? some have a option to set up a second band called IOTA with 2.4ghz band only. Another work around that has worked for me is setting up the device away from the router so it is forced to use 2.4 and not 5.

If the supplied router from spectrum doesn’t offer a 2.4g WiFi you might be able to get a secondary router that does, one that is 2.4g shouldn’t be to expensive. The fact that your router doesn’t offer it is strange because most smart switches and outlets only work on 2.4g. Mine offers a guest 2.4g and a dual band 5.0/2.4g from Version.

What kind of router do you have? some have a option to set up a second band called IOTA with 2.4ghz band only. Another work around that has worked for me is setting up the device away from the router so it is forced to use 2.4 and not 5.
It’s just a spectrum router, just looked at it and there nothing to switch or change. Just inputs. And it’s down stairs, not too far from the actual router but spectrum says there’s no way to run 2.4..

If the supplied router from spectrum doesn’t offer a 2.4g WiFi you might be able to get a secondary router that does, one that is 2.4g shouldn’t be to expensive. The fact that your router doesn’t offer it is strange because most smart switches and outlets only work on 2.4g. Mine offers a guest 2.4g and a dual band 5.0/2.4g from Version.
How does this work? Is it something I daisy chain to my current router? I’ve never used something like this before..

I’ve tried on my spectrum app and phone. Can’t seem to figure it out.
On the side of your router there should be a sticker that has IP information on it and usually login information. Try through a computer if you have one. You can usually find some information online to help with your specific provider

Update: tried for the 350th time and it just worked this time. The only difference was that I wasn’t next to the dose this time, maybe like 30 feet away. Worked flawlessly. Thanks for the help everyone!

Just as a follow up on this so you know

Any device that is 5g also supplies older 2.4 and lower protocols. They used to seperate them out so you can control them differently but most don’t now to make it easy for customers

If they did not also supply 2.4 g then a ton of devices would not work.

I will say that there are issues with some routers and some devices ( had similar issue getting WiFi temp controller hooked up). But if you are persistent it should work.

Most routers support a/b/g and nc protocols which work over different frequencies

There are iOS apps that you can get that actually help you see everything that’s available if you really want to do some network digging

Just as a follow up on this so you know

Any device that is 5g also supplies older 2.4 and lower protocols. They used to seperate them out so you can control them differently but most don’t now to make it easy for customers

If they did not also supply 2.4 g then a ton of devices would not work.

I will say that there are issues with some routers and some devices ( had similar issue getting WiFi temp controller hooked up). But if you are persistent it should work.

Most routers support a/b/g and nc protocols which work over different frequencies

There are iOS apps that you can get that actually help you see everything that’s available if you really want to do some network digging
Thanks for the note!
I spoke with Spectrum who says that they can do 5g and 2.4 but, you can't select them. The device will be able to select which one it needs automatically. Like I said, I randomly tried to connect again but this time, in a different spot in the house and it work flawlessly.

Yes the 5G and 2.4G can behave differently in different places because of interference. Its always fun finding dead spots where one wifi band does not work well. When i have issues I try to get as close to the router as I can with the device because usually lets it connect correctly.

Yes the 5G and 2.4G can behave differently in different places because of interference. Its always fun finding dead spots where one wifi band does not work well. When i have issues I try to get as close to the router as I can with the device because usually lets it connect correctly.
I didn't change positions with the device or the router, just my phone trying to connect it through the app..

I had this issue in the past trying to connect security cameras to Wi-Fi. They were only able to connect to the 2.4mhz Wi-Fi so what I ended up doing was separate the 2.4 and 5 to 2 different networks just for setting up the cameras I left the 2.4 name alone and added a 5 to the 5mhz network so if the name was "MyHome" I changed the 5mhz Wi-Fi name to "MyHome5" was able to do this thru my Xfinity App. Once I did that I setup the cameras to "MyHome" cause thats what the 2.4 was named and everything connected no problem. Once i had everything setup I then went back to the app and deleted the 5 from the 5mhz network and combined the network back to "MyHome" and was done.

I had this issue in the past trying to connect security cameras to Wi-Fi. They were only able to connect to the 2.4mhz Wi-Fi so what I ended up doing was separate the 2.4 and 5 to 2 different networks just for setting up the cameras I left the 2.4 name alone and added a 5 to the 5mhz network so if the name was "MyHome" I changed the 5mhz Wi-Fi name to "MyHome5" was able to do this thru my Xfinity App. Once I did that I setup the cameras to "MyHome" cause thats what the 2.4 was named and everything connected no problem. Once i had everything setup I then went back to the app and deleted the 5 from the 5mhz network and combined the network back to "MyHome" and was done.
That’s what I was trying to do but spectrum doesn’t allow that. They said the only way is to buy my own router and set it up myself. Either way, I got it to work randomly..

Back