Petco in Norwood

Overlook reef

Non-member
Is this a good buy? :)

$12.00 for the rock covered with zoas!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346269635.852440.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346269646.837583.jpg

I could not believe it!

The gentleman that was helping me looked at a price sticker that said zoas.

I think it was for frags Instead of for a zoa covered rock!

great find and not to rain on your parade, but i wonder what kind of hitchhikers you will end up with from the tanks at Petco....

DIP THAT!!! That's where my Zoa eating nudis came from, at least I'm 99% confident they did anyway.

Honestly though, in addition to dipping it's important to quarantine. When I was a bit stupider and more anxious I would always acclimate and dump stuff into my display tank. Big mistake. It unfortunately took me two times to realize that patience is key. Nothing is worse than emptying your tank and rearranging all your rockwork just to grab one damn thing out of the tank that you didn't mean to put in, or you meant to put in and turned out to be in poor health. Well, one thing is worse, when the rest of your tank has die off due to bad new livestock.

Setting up a QT tank isn't too hard. You can fill the QT tank with your DT water as part of a water change for the DT. I usually keep some filter media in the DT sump so that it can culture bacteria and be plopped into the QT tank when I need it.

My opinion: Petco is fine for getting your first 2-3 corals/polyps from, and then puting nothing in your tank for 2 months. After that, I would NEVER buy anything from Petco.

DIP THAT!!! That's where my Zoa eating nudis came from, at least I'm 99% confident they did anyway.

This is what he's telling you to look out for. They are tiny and blend in very well, but once you spot one your eye will know what to look for. Look really close and often. They are usually visable with the lights on, just keep looking. If you find any there is a thread on this forum with links for teatements and links.
http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=415

I got nervous with what appeared to be zoa fungus last night!!!

After reading up, I decided to give it a five minute fresh water hydrogen peroxide dip. It appears to have done the trick! No concerning critters, just lots of pods, stars and sponges were killed. I hope nothing came off it before I dipped it.

I will be watching!

Thanks everyone!

Back