PHReef's Powerhead prop mod

316 stainless steel. Same material used for the stock MJ impeller shaft. I just checked, and my mod has been running for 10 months, not seven as I said previously, with not even a hint of rust. It's highly corrosion resistant with a very low carbon content.

Last edited:
I would venture that is close to 2x that. what I saw looked about 1500 or so... just going by the looks...others can chime in, but id say 1000 gph is on the low end of what it does.
PHreef said:
I'm not even sure how to calculate that. I'll have to leave that up to someone else.
I'd estimate 1000+ gph out of the MJ1200 version. The MJ1000 version everyone saw at Greg's might be a little less.

isn't the propeller mounted on the original shaft that the impeller was mounted on?

that looks like a great mod!!!!! i have a 15g with nothing but my 2 return lines in it for flow...do you think you could mod a MJ 600 or something along those lines? i also wonder if you could mount something on the front of your PVC guard that has a bit of resistace to it but spins with the force of the propeller and deflects the flow around to different areas so you don't get a single "jet stream" affect. what do you think, is it possible?

ANDY

Andy, I'm sure I could mod a 600 for you. I might have to use a smaller prop, but it would work. Not sure of the flow, but I bet it would be plenty for a 15gl.
Email me please. custommw (at) juno (dot) com.

Very interesting idea, about the deflector. I'd have to think about that for a bit. Almost sounds like the Hydor rotating device.

aweeks95 said:
isn't the propeller mounted on the original shaft that the impeller was mounted on?

No, the shaft is replaced. The original impeller assembly spins around the shaft, as does the modified assembly. The shaft is stationary, secured by the rubber end caps.

I thought the whole point of this type of application was that you don't need deflectors? Wouldn't the deflector defeat the whole purpose by concentrating the velocity?

Steve

well ya it would defeat it. but, if in a smaller system, you don't need concentrated velocity for obvious reasons, this mod could get much better flow out of a smaller pump that uses less energy and creates less heat as well. so if some sort of hydor system could be made it would work well in a small system.....i would think.....it would have to be tried out i guess..

ANDY

Andy,
I just tried mine out and I tell ya' this thing has some major go-nads for a MJ 1200. Probably way too much for a nano. I can't believe how much flow it produces.

Nice product. Pat, you should apply for a patent on this.... I can see it now, "MJ Modification Kit $$$".

Steve

from the ipwatchdog.....

below is some rough guidance regarding what you can expect to pay in attorneys fees:

Relatively simple invention - $3,000 to $5,000

Invention of minimal complexity - $5,000 - $10,000

Invention of moderate complexity - $10,000 - $15,000

Invention of intermediate complexity - $15,000 - $20,000

Relatively complex invention - $20,000 and up

Again, these are just ballpark figures, and patent fees can certainly go well above $20,000 depending on complexity of invention and/or the need for and ability to acquire broad patent protection. A lot will depend upon what it is that you want to do with the patent, whether there are realistic market opportunities, etc. In the event there are realistic market opportunities you may spend more even on something that is simple to make sure that you have covered the invention enough to have a strong resulting patent. By way of example, you could probably get a business method or computer software patent for quite cheap (maybe $5,000 to $10,000), but a cheap computer related patent would not be nearly as strong as a patent costing $20,000 or more. The devil is always in the details. Getting a stronger patent requires more claims and more attention to providing both a detailed and broad disclosure. This, of course, requires greater attorney time and higher filing fees, which in turn requires more time spent working with the patent examiner to get the patent issued.

I've split this thread, to try to keep the promotional information in the Reefdom forum. Please carry-on with DIY-themed discussion here, and questions for Pat about how he made it/how cool he is/how you can make a more ghetto one yourself. :)

Information about ordering your own, as well as most Reefdom staff responses promoting this venture should be kept mostly to the two threads now in the Reefdom forum.

No foul by anyone in any way, I'm just trying to keep things properly categorized. :)

Thanks,
Nate

Couple of pics of the bracket I made to mount the MJ Mod

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 350
Close up of the bracket itself. Made of good ol' acrylic ... and a torch :D

Attachments

• close bracket.jpg
    close bracket.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 341
I'd agree that a patent is not likely beneficial in this situation. First of all, you'd probably have a hard time getting a patent that provides any real protection, if you could be awarded one at all. In all likelihood, a small modification by someone else would render your patent protection useless. And then of course, you have the money issue you already raised, although I think you could do it far cheaper than $20,000 it would likely be at least half that when everything was said and done and that doesn't include any money dedicated to protecting your rights -- a patent doesn't ensure other people respect your intellectual property rights; lawyers do. And they are very expensive.

And, unless he comes up with a good way to automate the process of making these to reduce his labor and parts cost, those numbers don't seem to add up very well. A lot of risk, probably not a great return. And even if he did try to mass produce these things, he could end up facing competition from all the other powerhead manufacturers who would definitely find a way to produce similar products, likely at a far lower cost and pricepoint.

I think the only real alternative would be to approach one of the existing powerhead manufacturers and try to sell them the design... You may be able to get a little chunk of change from them for the design and/or a royalty. The question would be whether or not you could convince them to buy it without giving them too much information whereby they could do the modification themselves. If they had half a brain, they'd simply go on the Net and find this and similar threads and then not need to pay you a dime, so this wouldn't likely pan out either. But, you never know.

I think eventually maxijet might mass produce these themselves, If I was the owner of maxijet thats what I would do.

if I was phreef, I would get a simple patent and contact maxijet with your mod and see if they would buy the rights.

Back