Pickling Lime Questions

Sir Hoggas

Non-member
Just found out about Mrs. Wages at last meeting. Ordered 10 Jars.

1. Am I to understand that this is a "balanced" Alk and Ca. supplement?

2. How much should I add to my topoff (1gal/day) until I determine my consumption rate?

3. Is there a general consensus on how to add Mg. without actual testing? I gather Mg. is the variable that causes most Ca./Alk. imbalances. I change 10-15% of tank water every 3 weeks. is this frequent enough to keep my Mg. levels up?

1) Yes, as I understand it.
2) 2 teaspoons per gallon should make a saturated solution. If that's more than your tank consumes, then make a less-than-saturated solution in the future.
3) I generally don't add anything without testing. If you're worried about mag levels, I'd buy a test kit. But it sounds from others like Mag is depleted very very slowly, so if you're doing water changes I'd expect your mag is fine.

I was curious and tested mine a few weeks ago, and it was right were it should be without me doing anything. If you want to use my test kit you could come by my place sometime (not sure if you're in the area). I can't imagine i'll ever use all 50 or so tests in the kit!

Nate

A good piece of advice from that thread:
"Kalk" powder is either lab-grade Ca(OH)2 (Calcium Hydroxide) from a chemical company, Kalkwasser Mix from an aquarium supplier, or Pickling Lime from the grocery store. It's all about the same. Use 1/2 teaspoon of the powder per quart of solution -- maybe a bit more if you use Pickling Lime from the grocery store, which is less Calcium by weight than the other sources.

Back