Pics of coral to see if you think any are in need of help

martine&maribeth

~Eager Beavers~
Hi there, just took some pics and wondering if you think you see anything weird. The bubble is getting skimpy (has some deadheads around the sides), finger coral isn't filling out in the day like it usually is, disc coral used to be white w/pink edges and is now brown w/green tips, pagoda is not full and not green anymore-need to be lower? Thanks!

disc.jpgfinger.jpgcrone finger.jpgkenya tree.jpgpagoda.jpg

Sorry about that, yes, we have results from the lfs from 2days ago:

ph: 8.0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, akalinity 4meg/l, amonia 0.

Thanks again.

I'm worried we need to be doing more tests than the lfs is doing/recommending. They said our calc & mag was 'fine' but I'm worried I should get my own kit asap. API? Also, I add 25ml/day b-ionic calcium. TechM 30ml 2x/week for a 70gal bow.

Maybe you have too much calcium? I'm shooting for the clouds here but dosing clacium without knowing what your levels were might have gotten you in some trouble. I'm not sure if that would cause this though.

Just got back from petco w/api calcium test- reached blue reading about 22-23 drops- so between 440-460. High side so I'll stop adding that right now and keep a check to monitor once it gets down to 420 (goal#?). Thank you again!

Do not adjust PH or anything till you can test alk.
I would get an Alk test kit from API.They're only like $8.99 and could save the tank.

Ok alk is 4 meq/l

Just seen it.

Last edited:
Hi there, we grabbed a test for phosphates last night w/the calc and phos was perfect, thank goodness. I'm on the hunt for mag test today and I should be covered for at least the basics. Found the lighting (i'm sorry- i'm not versed in this at all... ) it says solar extreme t5 hd quad lighting system. Also notes deep blue t5 10,000k daylight (2) and deep blue t5 actinic-03 lamps (2). They came w/the setup and I'd be more than happy to get anything diff if you guys think that's what's wrong. ty

what's salinity? do you use a refractometer or a swing arm? how often do you do water changes? rodi water? what's the temp at? I know that heat swings during the summer days is an issue for some tanks. I know that if I don't keep the central air on, my tank hits 82-85

1.022 just tested (refrac). do water changes 15gal 1x/wk on a 75g that i get from the lfs. i have it in the bedroom w/the ac always on 69 and the temp is 76.

i can't tell you how much i trust and value each of your suggestions- so much! i'm sorry so novice but we truly want to learn. do you have any recommendations on what i should get? i'll literally do any upgrades/changes. sorry so many questions but it's very much appreciated. thinking i need to travel to a new lfs, honestly.

Don't be sorry, everyone starts somewhere. In my (also novice) experience, 6 light T5 pendants will give you more flexibility in growing a wider variety of corals as you have in the tank... It also broadens the color spectrum of bulbs you can use as well. Otherwise, there are other options- LED (expensive, but energy saving and they don't heat the tank), Metal Halide (strong, but generally more money to power when compared to T5 or LED, also heats the tank with radiant bulb heat)... I don't know about your setup, but maybe an additional 2 bulb pendant can be fitted above your tank? Otherwise, 6 and even 8 bulb pendants are made for a standard 75g tank. They're not cheap, but they are readily available.

In my experience, the water parameters that you provided look just fine. Lighting and/or feeding would be the first things I'd point to in terms of lack of growth after that...

Back