Pics of coral to see if you think any are in need of help

I don't think it's the lighting since the finger leather is closed and the pagoda has retracted. Those are generally low/med llight requirements. I would still concentrate on the water. Salinity is a bit low IMO...most keep it around 1.025-1.027. I think it is the additives even tho the alk is not that bad. I would do a 30% water change and raise salinity and lower alk a tad. How many hours are you running lights?

I agree with wrassefan's statement above... its probably not light since the softies and lps are closed... and its my opinion that the alk is a little too high... i like mine around 9 for any sort of coral... not sure what you said salinity was, but i keep mine at 1.026, which is turn, helps its parameters be more stable as there is more salt in the water, and therefore, more elements... a large water change would most likely be more good than bad imo (given the alk of the new water is in check, be sure to test freshly mixed water, so you know what you are adding to your tank)...

lighting hours is a good point also mentioned above by wrassefan...

OH, and i would most definately change your bulbs to ATI or Geissemann (ATI are cheaper, get them from bulkreefsupply-dot-com imo) as those are two of the best, and i feel ATI is second to none for many, many reasons... Deep blue makes a decent fixture, but the bulbs are crap... also, i would invest in a small fan of some sort to keep your light fixture cool at ALL times, as it is researched and proven, that t5 bubls kept cool, will produce about 30% more par, than bulbs that are hot... i am pretty sure those deep blue fixtures do not have cooling systems, which is nothing more than a simple fan... however, a 6 bulb teklight with some new bulbs would do a great job for all types of corals on your 75... however, by no means am i telling you to run out and by a new fixture, as it is VERY POSSIBLE, and has been proven, that 4 bulbs can and will in fact grow healthy corals, and yes, even sps... Reef Central has a few threads that highlight this, fyi... imo, T5 is the way to go, but thats jus me...

but again, i dont believe the lighting is the root of your issues... so what if your sps are a little brown, means nothing at this point, they seem to be growing, and that is what is important... changing bulbs could fix that easily, but not if evrything else isnt in order... like i said, i believe the issue maybe else where given the reaction of your softies and lps...

Last edited:
Really depends when the picture was taken.Softies will close up at lights on and off.
If they are in that condition all the time then it would point to water parameter problems most definitely.
Also water current direction.

perhaps i missed this, but how old are your bulbs? i believe bulbs have been shown to change spectrum as they age. i dont know the replacement life of T5 bulbs, but was replacing the PC bulbs in my BC14 (before i build an LED array) every 6-9 months.

Thank you all soooo much!! We're doing a 20gal water change tonight. Talked to our bff owner of our lfs and he recommended upgrading the bulbs on the quad we have now (to Geisemann) and add iodine before upgrading to new 6bulb setup just to see if it'll help. The current deep blues were installed w/original which was almost exactly 6mo ago (March) so makes since if it's part of the cause. I'll keep a good check on calcium (trying for 420-440), alk at 9dkh, salinity 1.026, mag 1280 (for basic goals). I'll be using a tea strainer for the mysis from now on and keep a picture log of the tank mates to help w/check points. We appreciate all of your help and look forward to your help again when the 4 weeks are up for my new Achilles Tang who's in QT right now :)

Back