Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby Behavior

ReeferMedic

Non-member
I've had a Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby for 5 years or so and wondered why it's stomach was always full, like it just had a meal. Even on days when the tank didn't get fed. I figured it was pods at first, but my Mandarin has never appeared to be malnourished along with a few large Leopard Wrasse. I also have a 10"-12" Sohol Tang that creates a ton of waste. Last night, the Sohol did it's business while swimming the length of the tank, as it always does. I noticed the Goby coming out of the rocks and looking around on the sand bed when a huge fish poo came tumbling across right in front of it. Can you believe the Goby actually ate the poo. It came out searching right away and began eating the smaller pieces. I have never noticed this behavior with this fish, but it has obviously been doing this for quite some. Now I know why it always appears full(full of $hit actually). I know some Angel Fish will eat it, but never expected it from a Goby. Has anyone ever experienced this behavior with these fish?

i have a pink spotted goby and he does that too. they are sand sifters, so i guess it makes sense. definitely a weird behavior.

I know I have one in my tank I forget he is there then he peeks out from under his rock. I have seen him 3x in over a year

Back