Please suggest a skimmer

Jelandusn

Non-member
Hi all,
I have finally restarted my 75 gallon after losing my battle with algae. I have everything up and running and am slowly restocking. I think I need to find some live sand and add a couple of pieces of live rock because right now things are pretty boring. I also would like to add a skimmer. Any recommendations? I want to do things right so I don't go through another crash. I plan to stock lightly with fish but do want to add some sun corals and dendros in the future.

There are a lot of great skimmers out there, and there has been a lot of advances in the last few years.

If I were shopping for a skimmer today, I would buy a Reef Octopus SSS110 or Bubble Magnus NAS 5.5.... both right around the $200 mark.

I have a Itech skimmer (no longer in production) with a Tunze hydrofoam. This would be my top recommendation if you could find on used. It does have a large foot print though.

I just got a Reef Octopus 150 Elite, and I love it. I have had it less than 24hrs, and I couldn't be happier. It has a DC motor, and is totally silent.

Good Luck

Derek

I have a bubble magnus curve 7 on my 75g. Works great but if I could buy new again I'd probably go with the Aquamaxx Co-2 or Vertex Omega series

I use to run a SRO 1000 but I found it hard to dial in ended up selling and dropping down to a Bubble Magnus Curve 5 and love it.

In my opinion, can't go wrong with anything reef octopus. I've had a few and never been disappointed

i had the regular reef octopus and super reef octopus skimmers in the past. I am now using reef dynamic skimmer and I like reef dynamic more than the reef octopus.
it's so easy to release to cup. I think all skimmer are all same. Some are a little better than the others because of a different pump in it. and alot of them are overpriced.
For your configuration. I would say go with any skimmer that is rated for 120-150g and that fit your budget.

Sometimes folks suggests you their skimmer isthe best skimmer when their skimmer is the only skimmer that they have used or purchased. So ask those folks that have used at least a few skimmers

Last edited:
I love my Aquamaxx co-2. I replaced my eshops s-120. The Co-2 is made out of better quality acrylic than eshops bubble magus and reef octopus from what I have seen. The collection cup is easy to remove and is great for limited cabinet space. It completely disassembles very easy for cleaning and the pump is a beast. The adjustment valve turns is very easy to use and tune in and after about 5 months of use still spins as freely as the day I opened box. They are a little on the pricey side but I feel that a skimmer is definitely a crucial part of a tank. Always make sure you get the appropriate size skimmer for the bio load of your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Aquamaxx co-2. I replaced my eshops s-120. The Co-2 is made out of better quality acrylic than eshops bubble magus and reef octopus from what I have seen. The collection cup is easy to remove and is great for limited cabinet space. It completely disassembles very easy for cleaning and the pump is a beast. The adjustment valve turns is very easy to use and tune in and after about 5 months of use still spins as freely as the day I opened box. They are a little on the pricey side but I feel that a skimmer is definitely a crucial part of a tank. Always make sure you get the appropriate size skimmer for the bio load of your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's another skimmer that's the exact same thing as the Aquamaxx Co series. They're actually the one's that make the Aquamaxx but the name slips my mind right now??
Aquamaxx http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E3...&dpID=41-ymUs-pGL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Jns

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-jns-cones-series-needle-wheel-protein-skimmer-co-2

Last edited:
Back