Plywood Aqurium VS Concrete Aquarium

If you would like you can come see my plywood tank it measures 11 ft x 5 ft x 4 deep. it is epoxy coated 4 inch bottom drain. and returns through the wall. it may not be exactly like you looking to build but it will give you some idea's. if there is anything i can help you with pleae feel free to get ahold of me. take care

Thanks Mchud, that was great to know members in here build huge plywood tank, now I feel more confidence to build my.
I have question, what kind a plywood are you use, what bran name of epoxy, and did you use fiberglass?

You can get a 5 gallon bucket of polyester resin for $60 in Newburyport (Sheppard's Auto Supply if I recall correctly), I am sure there are other places as well that I don't know about. That is where I get the stuff for boat work.

there have been a couple of members who built wood tanks....don't recall who tho...old timers of the BRS

Chad Peters was one of the old reefers in the club.....He was from my area.....Marco (Marc) had it for a while then Joe (Scavdog) had it after him...Not sure where it is now...But it was layered with epoxy resin... & it may have had Glass cloth too....

Last edited:
I have no direct experience with building a tank of this size on my own, but when i was researching it many people talked about getting the inside sprayed with the same thing they coat the inside of flatbeds with. Supposed to be non-toxic, strong, affordable and easier than coating and recoating with epoxy. research it i guess, (rhino-something?)

That is a urethane based product...I know it is impervious to chemicals once cured...I use it on fuel cells that leak.. The surfaces have to be very clean before application though...

i have done quite a bit of fiberglass projects for my boats the stuff is tuff industrial marine and supply newington NH and Gloucester ma have all the tools and resins you need i would go with two layers of 12 oz mat,with non waxed polyester resin with 4 layers around all the seams, it actually goes on fast cause you keep putting on layers when its wet i would skip epoxy paint although its good stuff it can take months to fully cure (thats the good stuff) i would use a waxed gel coat same stuff thats in showers its cheap easy to apply and you dont have to prep the non waxed glass. polyester resin isn't completely water tight its the gel coat that completely seals it...hope this helps

I used 3/4 inch pt. For the epoxy i used it was Pond Armor. Real easy to work with and have had great luck with it on pond instals. i will try to post some pics this weekend. Some advice i can give you is to build strong. Mine is over built. But it isnt going anywhere. 2 x 6 framed everything glued and screwed together all seems were taped with fiberglass tape then sealed with epoxy. Like i said your always welcome to come out to see it. look for the pics this weekend.

Also i have worked with fiberglass alot being a boat mechanic but the one nice thing about this product is if you are going to build this in your basement it doesnt smell ,the resin smell will drive you nuts. Speaking from experience, built a sump out of fiberglass in the basement, wife wanted to kill me. also someone mentioned sani tread, have seen it to lift as time goes on usualy after first year or so on cement and wood. my other job is that i own a pond supply web site and pond instalation service, and have built 20 or so large holding tanks so i have tried alot of products and made alot of mistakes. so feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Also i have worked with fiberglass alot being a boat mechanic but the one nice thing about this product is if you are going to build this in your basement it doesnt smell ,the resin smell will drive you nuts. Speaking from experience, built a sump out of fiberglass in the basement, wife wanted to kill me. also someone mentioned sani tread, have seen it to lift as time goes on usualy after first year or so on cement and wood. my other job is that i own a pond supply web site and pond instalation service, and have built 20 or so large holding tanks so i have tried alot of products and made alot of mistakes. so feel free to ask if you have any questions.

I'm really appreciate your help, I will see you before I work on this project, now just do some more research. I have a question, could you give me more detail on "all seems were taped with fiberglass tape then sealed with epoxy". That mean you use fiberglass tape just for cover the seems and you use epoxy for watertight right? If you can give me more detail and some pic that be great.
Thanks

Hey
I built that tank you guys are talking about it's just plywood with a two part epoxy. I can't recall the name I'll post when I think of it. The epoxy was a type that din't bleed chemicals that you have to make sure of. Two coats is a must also. I picked it up at the boating place in Fairhaven Mass. Don't remember the name it was along time ago. I remember its Devoe paint and is carried by ICI Called Bar Rust 2 part. I'll try to post a pic I found.

I am curious to know how its doing too.
Whats up Brian.:D

Attachments

• table1.jpg
    table1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,092
Back