Porcupine Puffer Going Blind?

ReeferMedic

Non-member
I tried my friend Google, and couldn't find any info. My wife has had a Porcupine Puffer for a few months now. It started showing a few spots of ich just a couple of days ago. This doesn't overly concern me. The part that does concern me is the fact that he appears to have gone blind. It swims around, bumping into things. If I hold the food right in front of it, it doesn't seem to be able to see it. It doesn't come to the glass and act like a dog any more either. It will eat, you just have to place the food right in front of it so it can find whatever you are trying to feed. It does seem to still have a sense of smell. Anyone ever seen this? Very confused as to what my be causing these symptoms. I couldn't find any info on whether or not ich would cause blindness. :confused:

That sucks Don. Sorry I couldn't give you any suggestions except trying to ask the question on RC fish disease forum. Best of luck with the puffer.

Don,

Is there a whitish film over his eyes? I used to have a sharpnose puffer (not quite the same as a porcupine) that would get infections that clouded its eyes. To cure, I would treat with Melafix. The infection always cleared up in a day or two.

Melafix can be used in a reef. I have treated with shrimp, corals, clams, etc in the tank with no adverse effects. The only problem is that you have to turn your skimmer off. It also gives the water a noticeable tea tree smell. If you want to give it a try, I have a bunch of it. It is a bit old and I haven't used it in a while, but your welcome to give it a go.

JD

Let me know what you find!!!!!

I have had this happen to a fish that had NO disease and was in flawless health. Over a short period of time you could observe him not being able to find the food (would react to shadows), but would come flying out at the slightest hint of the tank getting fed meaning he could smell the food. If he happen to bump into the food, he would eat it. He would smash into the glass and once in a while the rocks. He had some instinct on where to go, but still would crash into things. Over time he stopped eating completely, his sight degraded, and wouldn't leave his cave. Eventually, he ended up passing away

EDIT: Forgot to say that I've done searches on RC and couldn't find anything. Everyone that has had a "blind" fish has had cloudy eyes or some sort of disease which would make some sense. NOTHING on a fish just "going blind" No insight or anything

Last edited:
Thought I would bump this back up. Lost 2 Chromis so far with the exact same symptoms, now another in my QT showing the same pattern. All got extremely stressed from the Anthias in my main tank so I moved them to the 10 gallon. Any treatment? Looks healthy but can't see food, slowly losing weight.

And instead of letting the fish waste away what is the most humane way to stop its suffering?

Back