Possibly Some Very Bad News.......

will it kill my starfish too? its going to be near inpossible to get out the inverts ....

its been a few days now and i havent seen one bug ... it might not have even been red bugs... never know .. i'll keep an eye out .. there hasnt been a bug on the humils or any other corals ..i'll wait another week and see what happens ..i dont want to dose if i dont have to... will it kill nudibranchs too?

interceptor only affects shrimp, crabs and pods. i lost about 30% of my shrimp and crabs the pods were back in a weeks time. after treating my acros looked better then they ever have and the growth has been very impressive.

Whats the life cycle on these things? i havent seen one bug in the tank since i treated that one acro...

yeah i dont think it was red bugs.. i havent seen one since i first noticed them...could have been something else .. like the coral eating cyclopeese or something...

Red Bugz

I did not subtract out the volume of my rock, sand, etc but I did ADD all of the water volumein my system including in my skimmer, pipes, refugium, frag tank, and everything else that contains water. Also, I did not estimate my water volume using the dimensions of my tanks. I just used the water volume that the tanks were labeled with. In other words, I did not take into account tank wall thickness.

I dosed 3 times, each dosing done 1 week apart. I am still Red Bug Free 1 month after the final treatment!!!!!!

Moe_K said:
Here's Dustin's info on dosing a reef tank:
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=439155#439155

Perhaps our members who have dosed their tanks can provide their dosing epxeriences. I think a few have modified Dustin's dosage.

You need to be sure it wasn't red bugs if you are about to have a mass sale of your tank. You also need to inform any would be purchasers before they make the long trek to your house.

well im 98% sure that i dont have red bugs .. havent seen any of whatever it was that i saw ... chances are people are reading this ... and most everyone nowadays is dipping anyways.. but i dont think its worth warning about since there isnt a problem ... and like i said most people have read this anyways .. since some one decided to bring it back up as soon as i listed my tank for sale :) its good .. if i thought there was a possibility of a problem i would warn them ..but i dont think there is .. i'm 200% better off than any lfs :)

For what it's worth, if I were told by a coral seller "I had bugs a month ago, and didn't treat, but don't see any now", it probably wouldn't change my decision if I wanted to buy a coral from you. But I would be warned and know that a preventative intercepter dip is in order, just to be on the safe side.

I don't think "most everyone nowadays" is dipping all their incoming corals in interceptor as a matter of everyday procedure (although we probably all should). My impression from talking to people is that it's less than half of SPS keepers that are using interceptor at all, and I think even among those there are far fewer who would treat with intercepter if they got a coral from a BRS member who assured them that they had "no pests" in their tank.

Personally I really think it's in everyone's best interest to be upfront about this sort of thing, because it is REALLY SIMPLE to treat one incoming coral that you suspect may have a chance of carrying the bugs. On the other hand, if one of your customers isn't warned, and doesn't treat, and by some odd chance manages to get the bugs in their entire stocked system it's a much bigger, more expensive and more risky treatment procedure to cure the whole system of them. Surely you can understand this, since you were so concerned about treating your system.

I just don't think you'll make this sale go any better for you if people worry that you're not being open with them. That's my take on it. I know you didn't ask, but hey, that's the problem with a bulletin board - we all think other people want to hear our opinions. :)

Good luck, Nate

i was told today by a lfs owner that some lady is going around telling everyone not to buy corals from me because i didnt take her advice on the treatments .. sometimes people really need to get a life... I'm not being sneaky, I've posted in many places that i might have "had" red bugs ...idk some people realy urk me...

Back