Power heads

MarkSzy

BRS Member
I’m sure this is a widely debated topic and I know Ecotech is the wave to go. That being said I am letting to figure out what power heads I want without buying 2 MP40’S. I have a 200g tank 4’x3’x3’ and believe only 1 MP40 on one side of the tank isn’t the way to go. I have read that the Jebao pumps are good but wanted to see if anyone used their wavemakers? I was thinking one on either side of the tank for sufficient flow. The ones I was looking at are below. Thanks for any input.

Jebao OW-40 Wavemaker 317-3963 GPH with Controller and Magnet Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FKHBQP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TDPPT9W2J63104N1JFRK

200g tank IMO your best bet & depending what you will be keeping plays a big toll on it as well. A couple of mp40 are good or mp60 would be more than good.
Gyres are excellent as well and have excellent movement for a big tank like so and a ton of options (jebao, maxspect, ice cap). Jebao gyres are good as well but come with a little noise in max operation.
REEFBREEDERS RPM are good low profile as well and tons of power.
Once again it all depends on what your planning to keep, maintenance etc…good luck

Thank you, I plan on just doing fish and softies to start. Maybe in the future I will go with hard corals but that’s years down the line.

I am on my 3rd rpm because my first two died after about a year and a half. I liked them, but expected a longer life out of them. Anyone else have the same issue with theirs?

@dz6t has a similar sized tank in the corner of his shop. I don’t recall if he had a Jebao gyre on that.

I have a Jebao gyre on a 5’ and it pushes a lot of water. I have to keep it at 1 - 2 when the blades are clean and between 3 - 5 when the blades are dirty.

The gyre is 2 years old and is a bit louder now - noticeable when on pulse or random, but it isn’t too disturbing yet.

There are also 2 MP40 on that tank which are run on low speed. The gyre isn’t really needed with the 2 MP40.

Last edited:
Back