Powerhead in Refugium?

Slombardi

BRS Member
Does anyone use a powerhead in their fuge? I have 10-15x flow through my sump, however if you just looked at the fuge you wouldn't know it. It looks basically still. I have caulerpa that is growing at a decent rate, but I also have been using a maxijet pump that runs when my fuge light is on for about 10 hours at night.

My question is, does the flow help the growth of the macro algae?

From my point of view it only helps because your making more flow, allowing more nutrients and co2 to get to the plant life. Of course there'll be a bottleneck as for how much more flow you'll be able to add. The only reason I don't is because I'm too lazy to check my sump every day to see if the pump sucked up some algae and got clogged

Well since it is working I will leave as is. Was trying to see if I could use less outlets..

I think the idea is to have a lower turnover in the sump so the protein skimmer has time to work (4-6x is what is suggest, although mine is admittedly higher). adding a powerhead for the fuge would definately help esp. when dealing with low turnover rates.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back