Pre-built sump vs DIY sump...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
In the process of figuring out a future tank and taking my sweet time doing it. Today I was randomly looking at some online vendors (received an email about veterans and 1st responders getting 5% off their orders so why not at least look :cool:)

I was looking at some of the premade acrylic sumps and was wondering what the appeal of them are? They're all $300-$400+ and I don't seem to get it am I missing something? I would think the $50-$60 (if that) option of a cheapo aqueon tank and some silicone and baffles would be much more appealing. Figured I'd throw it out to the club to get everybody's opinions...

I think the most important factors are easy access to the entire sump and ease of maintenance. I went the homemade route initially, but had to access it through a small door in the front. I also used socks, neither were conducive to staying on a regular maintenance schedule for me at least. I bought a Red Sea and like the layout of the sump. If I were to go bigger, I would likely go homemade sump again, but take what I've learned about layout and access and incorporate that into whatever I design. The harder it is to do it the less likely it will get done on a regular basis...

It all comes down to your time and skill.
For starter, an aqueon DIY is glass. Sump and glass is usually not a good thing. I've seen many broken glass sump because someone drop something during routine maintenance.
It's better if you can weld acrylic and make it out of acrylic instead of glass. Again, it's your time and your skill.
DIY is not always cheaper. I've done many DIY projects(nonreef related too) and it turned out costing more than if I were to just buy it premade. Mostly due to the many do-overs because I've messed up or not happy with the result. Or simply because I need to buy the tool(s) to do what I want.
Premade or custom sump are nice because you have the option of built-in heater holders, dosing lines, baffle with teeth, etc.. These are requires certain tool and skillset.

It all comes down to your time and skill.
For starter, an aqueon DIY is glass. Sump and glass is usually not a good thing. I've seen many broken glass sump because someone drop something during routine maintenance.

Didn't even think of this aspect and that's a pretty big one if you're not careful.

Premade or custom sump are nice because you have the option of built-in heater holders, dosing lines, baffle with teeth, etc.. These are requires certain tool and skillset.

I do like the custom aspects for a premade acrylic sump and that's why I would consider one. As @bcarm also mentioned it would be easier to get a custom size to make ease of access, especially full removal from the stand easier...

I've had both. Always just used a 20 long or a 40 breeder. This time I opted for trigger pre built sump. Although it has some features that are good, I wish I commissioned someone to build one a bit wider with more features, but then again I wasn't really looking to pay those prices either.

Examples:

or

something I would have rather but with some changes

Big difference in costs, but I'm sure that the Geo's sump is hand built with attention to detail. Trigger used to be this way but is now mass produced over seas as least that's what I've read somewhere.

+1 on the life reef. Jeff’s the man. unless your hell bent on fleece rollers. he’s kinda stubborn about new fangled gizmos. If your thinking diy I’m ordering a hot air pvc welder tomorrow. Your welcome to borrow it if it works well.

A big factor for me was sump location. In my case it is in the basement beneath the tank, so space and form factor were irrelevant. The entire cost of my sump+"baffles" was ~$140 for 120 gallons. $100 for the tank, 20 for 2" insulation for the winters, plus the value of misc stuff I already had on hand.

My baffles are just other old tanks of differing sizes that create the chambers I want.
This is close to the design I ended up using: http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?attachments/1550207093560-png.124840/

I did look at that but that's also pretty pricey... I like it a lot but also saw that they're not doing sumps until March 2021

If your thinking diy I’m ordering a hot air pvc welder tomorrow. Your welcome to borrow it if it works well.

Hmmmmmm... May have to take you up on that offer we'll see...

A big factor for me was sump location. In my case it is in the basement beneath the tank, so space and form factor were irrelevant. The entire cost of my sump+"baffles" was ~$140 for 120 gallons. $100 for the tank, 20 for 2" insulation for the winters, plus the value of misc stuff I already had on hand.

I'm not even sure what sort of sump I'll be doing it all depends on if I get another cube or a corner tank. If I got the corner tank I would probably be more inclined to do something custom to maximize the space in the stand since afboundguy's better 1/2 won't let me drill holes into the walls or floor to plumb in a basement sump for some silly reason :rolleyes:

I would also check out jax racks on ebay, he makes pre built sump baffle kits for different sized tanks. Can customize them too for you for no extra charge.

Preference, and purpose. The more tech you get the better off you are with a expensive acrylic that is better laid out in design for customization, and as mentioned if you intend to keep a lot of rock in the sump the glass tank sumps can become catastrophic. I keep it pretty basic myself, a rock chamber, a chaeto chamber, a spot for the skimmer, and a spot for the return pump, and I don't use filter socks ever. I don't run anything in them, and it seems to work for me. I used a bio cube for a long time as a sump for a 60g cube. Drain into the back chambers, return pumped from the main display section, and I baffled the water direction inside the display section to create zones for rock, and equipment. There's a lot of guys on here with just totes as sumps. Anything is possible. Do what's good for you, but its hard to deny how sexy these acrylic sumps are these days.

Last edited:
Back