Pre-tank Build Thread 1 (Lighting)

Matt L.

Non-member
As I may or may not have mentioned, we hope to be moving from an apartment to a house soon. We have been saving up for this for a while. I don't know when it will happen, but we can't stay where we are, and I have begun acquiring equipment for a larger setup. The 120gal that I have operated for 3 years will be replaced by a tank between 240 and 375gal. That may sound like a large range, but I hope to build an 8ft long tank, and the volume difference represents the difference between a 2ft wide x 2ft deep tank and a 2.5ft wide x 2.5ft deep tank, and everything in between.

Since I will need lighting regardless of my tank size, and would never likely build a deep tank because of lighting issues, I was hoping to start acquiring fixtures.

I am interested in LED due to the energy savings, temperature, and lifecycle cost. I may or may not combine LED with MH depending on the size of the tank.

Has anyone here had experience with the EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w (Gen 2) LED Light Fixture? I have heard very positive reviews of it.

Do you have another LED fixture you prefer better?

These LED fixtures are 140W. How does a Watt of LED relate to a Watt of MH light output for coral growth?

In their Study, Vivid Aquariums equated 2800W of MH with 1560W of LED, for a ratio of 1W LED replacing 1.8W LED. In their study, Vivid Aquariums had set up 7W of MH per gallon. I don't see myself using that high a lighting intensity. If I have between 240gal and 375gal, and if I use, say, 6W equivalent MH per gallon, then I need an equivalent of between 800W and 1250W LED. That's 6 to 9 of those fixtures ::

Any advice would be appreciated :confused:

Matt:cool:

Back