Pre-tank Build Thread 2 (What kind of tank?)

Matt L.

Non-member
As I mentioned in a previous thread, the prospect of finally owning property for the first time in my life is tantalizingly close, and that means being able to have a non-portable system for the first time in my 12 years in the hobby.

Seriously, every system that I've had, from 2001 to 2013, has had to be able to be picked up and relocated every few years.

My first system in 2001 was a 20L.
In August of 2002, I moved from New York to Boston, and set up a 55. I didn't bring my fish with me. I set the 55 up in Somerville in September.
Over the summer of 2004, I upgraded from a 55 to a 90 without moving. I sold the 55 here.
In August of 2005, I moved that 90 from Somerville across town to Brighton.
In August of 2007, I moved my tank inhabitants from the 90 in Brighton to a 125 back in Somerville. I sold the 90 here.
In August of 2008, I moved some of my tank inhabitants from the 125 to a 60 cube. I had to sell the rest. I sold the 125 on CraigsList. The 60 was in a new apartment. So that was a move too.
In April of 2009, I moved from Massachusetts back to New York, bringing all my tank inhabitants with me, in the car, all the way from Somerville. I moved them into a 120 here.
In July 2011, we moved the 120 from one apartment to another in the same building, but that still counts as a move.

Now, at long last, after doing this for so many years, I am hoping that moving from an apartment to a house will allow me to set up a larger system.

As I discussed in the previous thread, I am looking at the range of 240 to 375gal. I think 450gal and over is out of the question.

I really would like the 8ft length. And while presently own a 120gal, I have come to believe that I would like an extra 6" to 12" of width. I am a bit more ambivalent about depth. But I think another 6" would be ideal. A 36" deep tank might be too much to light.

The dimensions and volumes are as follows:

8 x 2 x 2 = 240gal
8 x 2.5 x 2 = 300gal
8 x 2.5 x 2.5 = 375gal
8 x 3 x 2.5 = 450gal
8 x 3 x 3 = 540gal

Never dealing with tanks this large, I have many, many questions, and I was hoping some of you who have built large systems can provide some input.

Question 1: Acrylic versus Glass? All my tanks have been glass. This is beyond the ability of a small number of people to lift regardless of whether it is acrylic or glass, so weight would not be an issue. I also fear scratching acrylic. So, what are the major advantages of acrylic?

Question 2: Where to get a tank like this built? I have bought tanks from Glass Cages, and been happy. Okay, the seals aren't always neat, but I never had a problem with anything they ever made. What about local tank manufacturers? Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Question 3: Wood or metal for the stand? My big fear is that wood would begin to rot over the years. Metal wouldn't, but I've heard custom metal fabrications can be extremely pricey.

Okay, that's all for now.

Matt:cool:

A few years ago i worked on a 540 at my University. It was 8x3x3. I worked on it for about 2 years. With a long kent pro scraper i could get all of the coraline down by the sandbed but only with a brand new blade. I ended up filing them sharp over and over again. That tank was and still is acrylic. SOOOO many scratches on it. I'm proud to say that i never contributed to the mass of scratches on it, but yeah, its soft a** acrylic and if you want to have a few drinks and put your hands in the tank are you gonna want to treat it like a baby or like a MAN.

I would absolutely 100% go with glass. But with a tank that big you will want to go with a starfire front pane. which is maaaajor $$. But i feel you man, ive had small remote tanks for years now. I imagine that having your own home now you don't mind waiting a bit longer to save up and do it RIGHT. Do it right do it ONCE.

It seems like a yearly or every other year routine where they have to empty that reef tank i worked on and buff it out.

As far as your stand, check out McMaster.com You might be able to buy a lot of the metal needed for the stand and give it to your metal worker. That way they aren't making money on the materials, only the labor. You can also find some nice reinforced epoxy resin fiberglass beams on McMaster. They are almost as strong as steel and dont corrode or conduct electricity. May cost more upfront than the material for a metal stand but its easy to work with and you can easily build it yourself.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/3605/=l6gx2j

Ive made a stand out of the 3"x3"x0.25" and used a single 1/4" stainless steel bolt at each junction. But that was no 500 gallon tank haha they have thicker stuff too.

Good luck to ya Matt!

All your tanks have been portable???LOL when i first got into the hobby I loved stopping by your house in Somerville, and that didnt seem to portable to me. I am glad you are getting a big tank, and I am sure it would be great. I would go glass. I have had both, and nothing beats scraping algae with a razor compared to an old credit card. I am in the process of pricing a steel stand for a 120. I am surprised how low the prices are I am getting. I havnt had anyone start on it, so i dont know if there are hidden costs, but a big tank I would want on steel.

Good Luck

Derek

I still have a pc of your old Torch for you when you are ready

I am not a professional, so do not take what I say to the bank. Hopefully someone in construction here will chime in here. But I do believe this statement is true. " all the weight is carried on the outside edge" So as long as the stand is built correctly you should be able to use wood depending on how much load a 2x4 or 2x6 would hold on the verticle outside edge.

The biggest thing with a steel stand would be having it finished off correctly. Powder coated to protect it against the salt creep. Welding is not that hard (been there done that), but is an art form. Finding someone that really know what their doing = "priceless". Steel itself really is not that expensive, but the knowledge and quality of the work varies. I would assume that at least 2" or 3" square or retangular tubular material would be used and braced on the upright at least every 3' depending upon the materials rated load capacity.

Depending on where or how you would be placing the tank in the home really dictates whay shape or size tank. In wall, 1/2 out of wall or free standing. Personally I like to see the depth inorder to view from the sides to see what is going on. They say bigger is better, but cost is always a big factor. Now with LED lighting you need to keep the height of the tank in mind to ensure you can penetrate low for growth. I know you have been around long enough and have knowledge in these areas based upon your previous work I have seen. Whatever you decide I am sure will be the right choice, but I would keep your ability of time in mind to maintain when making your decision. If it were me... I would go long, deep and no higher than 24-30inches in height. I would also go with glass not acrylic and I base that upon what I have read and heard others state due to their experiences. Again, just my opinions.

Again, just my opinions and definately seek professional guidance. Most of the load information based upon the materials you use should be recorded somewhere. Whether you go with steel or wood.

I remember seeing post of your tank like 3+years back when you were living in Somerville. I actually worked down the street from you and communicated a couple of times.

Good Luck! with which ever route you choose to go. I know I will be looking for the build thread with baited breath.

Looking forward to following this one. I too am thinking about going bigger (though not quite as big) and have a lot of the same questions. I'm planning on finishing part of my basement and would like to incorporate a tank into the construction. Get it all planned before things are built and do it right the first time. I'll be looking forward to all that's said here.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

That is some terrific advice on metal framing and depth (3ft being hard to clean without submerging oneself).

First, we need to actually buy a house. And even then. I would put my fish in temporary tanks while I build whatever system I plan on.

I will keep you all posted.

Matt:cool:

Hi - we built a home about 6 years ago. I left a big space between our living room and eat-in kitchen area, i.e. very busy areas of the house for our DT. Then I planned for our DT to be a peninsula in between the two areas essentially serving as a room divider. The results have been great.

I cannot recommend a peninisula set-up enough in terms of viewing. Regardless of the size of your DT. The result is basically two DT for the price of one. Have you ever wondered what is going on, and wished you could see the back side of your DT which is against the wall? Wonder no more!
::

Here are a couple pics:
ONE015.jpg

ONE016.jpg

Last edited:
Back