Problem with 150G dual internal overflow

Shane

BRS Member
I just purchased a 150 gallon with Dual internal overflows. Each box has 2 holes in the bottom of the tank and the normal slotted intakes in the overflows...BUT the box on the right-hand side has an additional hole in it about 8" up with a bulkhead. I am not sure what the use is for this but it seems to be interfering with me utilizing the overflow properly as water will come into the overflow before it gets to the top of the box.

Any idea what that hole is for and how I would go about plugging it up...I tried to just put a plug in the front of the bulkhead but I can't get it to stop leaking..

Any help is appreciated

IMG-3454.jpg

maybe they had a low return outlet in that tower. just plug it

maybe they had a low return outlet in that tower. just plug it
Thanks for the quick reply!

I can't seem to get a bulkhead to seat well to plug it up.

Any suggestions there? I have a bulkhead with a slip on the bulkhead side. I put a pvc plug in it, but I cant get it to seat properly in the back where the nut is

Thanks for the quick reply!

I can't seem to get a bulkhead to seat well to plug it up.

Any suggestions there? I have a bulkhead with a slip on the bulkhead side. I put a pvc plug in it, but I cant get it to seat properly in the back where the nut is
"seat"? Do you mean it's not sealing? If so, where is the gasket? (nut side or flange side)

"seat"? Do you mean it's not sealing? If so, where is the gasket? (nut side or flange side)
yes, it will not seal on the nut side inside the overflow box. I have the gasket on the flange side on the outside of the overflow box.

I have cleaned all areas and put a new gasket on it..

Can't tighten it? Trying to understand what's not working.

The gasket is on the flange side, that's where the seal happens. The nut just holds it together, but doesn't seal in the first place.

Are the edges of the hole rough? (they don't look it in the pic, but asking..)

Stepping back...
Are those are double wall overflows with drain slots down low? If yes, then does this extra hole go through both walls, or just the outer wall? Then again, how do you get a bulkhead in there at all? Could you share some additional pictures?

Yes, 2 holes on the bottom of each overflow box. The hole in question is drilled through both walls and into the main overflow. The bulkhead goes all the way through but will not seal on the inside of the inner wall.

This is the bulkhead with the plug glued into the slip fitting.

IMG-3460.jpg

A couple more pics of the hole from the outside of the box. I cannot get a good pic from the inside, unfortunately.

IMG-3457.jpg
IMG-3456.jpg

Ahh, I get it. Hmm?

Would it be possible to DIY a spacer to fit between the dual walls so that the bulkhead would have something solid to clamp to (sandwich)?

Hard to do that for sure. I think I will just clue the bulkhead with the plug in it to the inside and cut off the extra threads

Hard to do that for sure. I think I will just clue the bulkhead with the plug in it to the inside and cut off the extra threads
Just remember that it's the seal on the inner overflow wall that matters. If it's sealed to the outer overflow wall, it will still potentially drain in a power outage. Good luck.

Just throwing it out there, I'm sure there's a few people on here that 3D print. Why not just have someone print a like 2"x2" square that has a little concave to it and just slap some super glue on it to cover it up? May sound like a dumb idea but, it would work..

Just throwing it out there, I'm sure there's a few people on here that 3D print. Why not just have someone print a like 2"x2" square that has a little concave to it and just slap some super glue on it to cover it up? May sound like a dumb idea but, it would work..
I'll add, it sounds like this is a newly set up tank (?).

Assuming it is new and not established, draining low enough for a day or two, and then doing a patch with acrylic sheet and weldon would be far superior to anything relying on superglue or any adhesive. (this would depend on the existing overflow actually being acrylic and not another kind of plastic).

*Weldon is a solvent and will permanently melt the plastic parts together. Superglue is handy, but it's just glue

Shane, do you know the manufacture of the tank, (or the specific material used to make the overflow)?

Does the plug need to be leakproof. Looks like there are vertical cutouts below that hole that also allow water to enter.

Last edited:
Does the plug need to be leakproof. Looks like they’re vertical cutouts below that hole that also allow water to enter.
Dual wall overflow. The inner wall needs to seal, or the tank will drain if the power goes out.

Right, that inner wall needs to be leak proof or could have a failure, but with the flow going in the bottom the way it does the skimming is greatly reduced.

I'll add, it sounds like this is a newly set up tank (?).

Assuming it is new and not established, draining low enough for a day or two, and then doing a patch with acrylic sheet and weldon would be far superior to anything relying on superglue or any adhesive. (this would depend on the existing overflow actually being acrylic and not another kind of plastic).

*Weldon is a solvent and will permanently melt the plastic parts together. Superglue is handy, but it's just glue

Shane, do you know the manufacture of the tank, (or the specific material used to make the overflow)?
It is setting up to upgrade from my 90 so I've drained the water down and will try a couple of things tonight. 1 thing i did not try was to put the flange on the inside. I will try that when I get home and hopefully this solves it. If not I will permanently close the hole with acrylic and glob on some #16 weld on

Sounds good.

Are you sure the overflow is made of acrylic? If not, possibly consider a test of attaching a small piece of acrylic elsewhere inside the box, out of sight, to make sure it bonds well?

Back