Products / Equipment not needed for the reef tank

Why are MH going to be obsolete? LED's?

EDIT: Sorry for the more than 1 post in this thread per day rule violation.
Look at the advances in lighting tech in the last 5 years, MH is big, hot and energy hungry. All things that we avoid in the hobby. It'll go the way of the dinosaur.

Tank Controllers, nice toys but you don't need them. With the exception of running Ozone (Ozonizer not needed either)

a paycheck...give the money to the lfs. its going rite there anyway just cut out the middle man

Coral life thermometers....................

Mine actually reads the same exact temperature as my reefkeeper2 controller reads.

Whoever said controllers, they aren't a necessity, but provide good peace of mind... especially when away from the tank for an extended period.

I will add one to the list, ATO. Unless you are going away from a period of time, its just as easy to fill up your sump as it is fill up your top of reservoir. I think they are over rated.. especially if its not a display tank.

Mag-float algae cleaners.

I think they are the most useless things. Worst 10 bucks i've ever spent. Just get a razor blade and get your hand wet. The razor blade will even take care of the coralline build up.

Really? I LOVE my Mag-float algae cleaner. It's extremely useful if your hood set-up doesn't easily allow you to get inside with a razor blade. I use mine weekly to make my glass crystal clear, and it even takes care of coralline build-up on the glass!

I will add one to the list, ATO. Unless you are going away from a period of time, its just as easy to fill up your sump as it is fill up your top of reservoir. I think they are over rated.. especially if its not a display tank.

Sorry, I have to disagree with this one as well. For me, I use an RO/DI filtration system for top-off water, and it's WAY more convenient to make water once every week or two and fill the reservoir than it would be to keep filtering water every day to top off the sump. My ATO system also lets me go on vacation for over a week and not have to worry about evaporation/salinity changes. I'm all about the convenience... plus, ATO's are CHEAP and easy to set up.

ATO's can also be dangerous if a float switch gets stuck.

Instead of making water everyday, ever think it might be just as easy to make say 75 gallons in a day, and have it last you two weeks? You can use a bucket, gallon jug, cup, or even a pump that you plug in to fill your sump to the line.

But i agree ato is nice if you are going on vacation.

ATO's can also be dangerous if a float switch gets stuck.

Instead of making water everyday, ever think it might be just as easy to make say 75 gallons in a day, and have it last you two weeks? You can use a bucket, gallon jug, cup, or even a pump that you plug in to fill your sump to the line.

But i agree ato is nice if you are going on vacation.

Point taken. I've heard of people having float switch malfunctions, but luckily I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). I think with ATO's, correct wiring and back-up is essential. My set-up has 4 float switches incorporated - three are connected to my top-off pump (two are located in the return section of the sump to maintain correct water level so if one fails the other will stop water pumping into the sump; one is in the bottom of my ATO reservoir to stop pumping when water gets low so the pump doesn't run dry).

There's also a float switch in my main tank connected to my return pump that will turn off the pump if the water gets too high in my main tank (this is more of a back-up in case my overflow box ever gets clogged or water flow to the sump gets backed up for some reason). My sump also has plenty of extra room to hold excess water in case something does go wrong.

In addition, ALL of my float switches are connected to my pumps with relays to prevent electrical damage to the switches.

I just think that ATO's really convenient if you design them correctly. But I'm also the kind of guy who likes to enjoy looking at my tank without having to provide maintenance more than once every week or even better once every two weeks! :)

Hopefully I won't have to post at a later date that some sort of catastrophe has changed my mind. But so far, so good!

I just think that ATO's really convenient if you design them correctly. But I'm also the kind of guy who likes to enjoy looking at my tank without having to provide maintenance more than once every week or even better once every two weeks! :)

I hear you on that aspect =).

So to change my original reasoning, they aren't necessary, but can be convenient.. much like a reef tank controller unit.

Mine reads exactly 10 degrees below mine :p

eeek, maybe i should have both of my probes checked. :D

Back